What are the benefits of GMOs?

Guys i need help by putting the crops,animal,environment, and human health in your own word..please guys i really need your help and my project is due on friday thanks guys :*

Crops

Genetically modified organisms, or GMOs, increase farming efficiency. They decrease maturation time, allowing their crops to come to market sooner. They increase total yield and stress tolerance, including the ability to survive better in severe weather conditions, allowing farmers to grow crops in previously inhospitable places. This has become essential as less and less farm land is available for increasing population needs. GMOs also increase resistance to crop diseases. Creating plants with genetically-engineered resistance to diseases, pests and/or herbicides, ultimately reduces the danger of crop failures. Crop losses from insect pests are not only financially devastating to farmers, but in developing countries, crop failures lead to starvation. In addition, the reduction or elimination of pesticide use reduces the overall cost of bringing crops to market, benefiting both the farmer and the consumer. Crops also benefit from GMO technology in that new products can be created to enhance taste and quality.

Animals

GMOs can improve animal health by increasing their hardiness, their resistance to disease, and their feed efficiency. While this may sound like science fiction, GMO technology is essentially a more efficient method of breeding. GMO techniques more quickly create organisms that yield higher quality meats, eggs and milk, by inserting genes into cattle to raise their milk production levels, for example. At the same time, GMO techniques can improve the health of the animals, as well. Also important for animals is the use of GMOs in "fingerprinting" of animal and plant diseases. Using this technique, veterinarians can determine if an animal is carrying a specific disease or has simply been vaccinated, preventing the need to kill or quarantine healthy animals.

Environment

GMOs reduce the chemicals needed for crop protection. Farmers growing crops genetically engineered to resist pests can use fewer pesticides. This has already occurred for GMO maize, cotton and potato plants. Trees genetically modified to produce a lower content of lignin, a structural constituent of woody plant cells, reduce the need for poisonous chemicals in pulp and paper production. The benefits include both the reduction of environmental impact and improved health to farm and industrial workers. One exciting development in GMO is phytoremediation; plants that are genetically engineered to clean up heavy metal pollution from contaminated soil. While not yet a reality, bioremediation, or the rehabilitation of damaged land through GMO plants could lead to organisms designed to restore nutrients and soil structure to depleted lands.

Human Health

GMOs have already led to more nutritious staple foods. Genes responsible for manufacturing Vitamin A have already been inserted into rice and wheat crops to increase their nutritional value. Called Golden Rice, it is helping reduce the serious vitamin A deficiency problem experienced in the developing world. A GMO technique nicknamed "pharming" creates plants engineered to produce vaccines, proteins and other pharmaceutical products.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Unfortunately, there is no verifiable proof that any of those claims are actually true as Monsanto, Dow, DuPont and the other companies with the patents on the GMO seeds absolutely refuse to allow for unbiased independent, third-party lab testing to actually determine the possible benefits and risks of their products.

They have claimed that GMO crops will grow bigger and more nutritious however early results have shown less nutrients in the food and not a substantial increase in the yield. Additionally, the one of the main purposes of GMO crops was to make them resistant to the spraying of herbicides and pesticides but when they actually test the crops, they are finding small amounts of the herbicides or pesticides have been absorbed into the food. They say it is well under "danger" levels but if somebody asked you if you would like a "safe" level of rat poison in your food, would you say "yes"? Granted, GMO is not rat poison but I do not trust the "Safe" levels the FDA has allowed since Monsanto practically runs the FDA.

The only current area where I see GMO possible having some benefit is in the medical field with a few treatments. Unfortunately, there has not been adequate testing with GMO in other areas so none of the benefit claims have actually been proven to be true.

Until I see lots of independent third-party testing of GMO's, I choose to avoid them as I am seeing too many potential signs of danger. Monsanto wants us to trust them yet they spent millions of dollars in California and Washington to defeat ballot initiatives which would have required mandatory GMO food labeling and they paid for misleading and deceptive ads to sway the voters against it. In other states, they are threatening to sue the states if they enact legislation requiring mandatory GMO food labeling. If their products are so safe, why are they spending millions to deny us our right to know?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.