5 yr old refuses to take medicine?

any cough remedies for a 5 yr old who refuses to take cough medicine? the liquid stuff like mucinex. he is coughing so bad and frequently he threw up. he goes back to doctor tomorrow

we've tried vapor rub, vaporizers, warm bath, throat spray, bribing, being stern, saying will take toys away...ive tried literally everything.

maybe there are some home remedies that would help that he wouldnt mind?

Favorite Answer

Maybe Im a mean parent or it maybe my kid is use to taking medicine, but not taking medicine is not an option in my house. My trick is a. you have too b. afterwards you get special mummy or daddy time c. I explain the consiquences if you doing. Of course this is not the answer to you question persay, however it may help you in the long run. Hope your little one feels better. Im sorry.

Source(s): Mean mum
  • Tulip

Well most over the counter meds are NOT recommended for children under 6 so check your lable. Is this a medication for children or adults?? As to the medication as suggested bribe him a little. Perhaps if soda is a treat offer a glass of that afterward. Meantime you should NEVER use vicks or vaporizors on small children as this can contribiute to an inhaled pneumonia. A a cool mist humidifier is much better. Meantime check your environment. Do you smoke or have a woodburner/fireplace? This can really cause problems for a child and if you do could even be the caues of the cough in the first place. Definitely see what the doc thinks and go with that.

EMT Paramedic

I never had this problem with my kids but my sisters kids acted like we were trying to poison them. What worked (sometimes) was.........First put it in the fridge, helps when it's cold. Second have some really tasty treat waiting on the sideline. Yeah sugar is bad for kids but if it takes candy to get the meds down then do it. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't but sometimes is better than never.

I read in a magazine about a doctor who gives her kids ginger candies for a cough. The ginger quiets the cough impulse. I tried it and it really works.

• jlb

A tablespoon of honey might help or some hot chocolate or hot cider. You might also try putting the medicine in a dropper and giving it to him in the back of his mouth so it goes down his throat right away.

Force him he needs it feel dont mix honey or sugar with it he needs to get used to the taste im sorry but make him and if he spits it out say he has to or youll punish him i used to hate cough medicine and i would spit it out and when i did my parents would slap me but you do what you think is best

try adding the dosage of med into a drink.

tyr mixing the med in fruti juices which he/she can finish up or in milk before bedtime