Oregon_Gal asked in PetsHorses · 6 years ago

I just watched a mule give birth...?

So I just watched a video of a mule giving birth to an adorable (insert name here) baby and because I don't speak fluent Spanish (I think) I wasn't able to understand what they did.

My question is how much effort was likely put into that one baby's creation?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1015221604477...

this is the video, If that is a donkey then I'm wrong, but I believe that's a mule.

• CDog
    Favorite Answer

Maybe none at all. Rare cases of mules giving birth have been documented (by UC Davis).

http://www.presstelegram.com/technology/20070725/m...

Add: Saw the video. Mom is definitely a mule and she was bred with a horse. Very cool. I remember seeing pictures of horse/mules taken at Texas A&M (pre DNA times). You could tell that one was definitely part mule, but mostly horse. I saw this years ago, but can't find them online.

• Debbie

Hi Oregon. I'm not an expert on mules but it's my understanding that mules are sterile. I have heard of rare exceptions, but I can't say for sure if the reports are legit.

Perhaps it was a donkey you saw giving birth and not a mule? After all, you do say the video was in another language so perhaps you just misunderstood.

As for the effort it took for that one baby's creation, I'm assuming from the way you word your post that some kind of veterinary and lab intervention took place here to help the "mule" become pregnant. You don't really give us enough details.

Please, could you possibly load the video link for us to look at?

ADDITION:

Thanks for the video. And you're absolutely right Oregon, it certainly is a mule. My Spanish is poor but I believe they were discussing the fact that mules are usually "infertile." and also that the sire is an "anglo-arab". I still don't know the particulars of the foal's conception but maybe another poster who understands Spanish will be able to provide a much more accurate interpretation of what they were saying.

I studied this for a school report once, Male mules are always sterile, but there is a small chance that female mules can reproduce,

"Mules are sterile. Only about one in a million female mules can reproduce. No male has ever produced an offspring."

-My own words from my report.

So the video you watched is quite a rare thing indeed, they probably found a mule mare that was able to reproduce and tried to breed her. Apparently it worked and they got themselves a rare and miracle foal!

Source(s): School reports I did myself.
  • meg

Mules are born sterile, however a very select few are somehow able to reproduce. It is purely a miracle.