Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

What does the confederate flag mean to you?

Favorite Answer

I CHOOSE to acknowledge the Stars And Bars as a symbol of pride in where you come from and a willingness to fight for the things you believe in.

I UNDERSTAND the other meanings attributed to it, but in MY LIFE, I will look at the positive side of the symbol to honor the best of the men who fought under it.

The Warlock

Seems some of you answering the question needs a little more education. The Civil War was started over the economy with the North upset over the South selling to Europe. The slavery issue came about after the war had started. I'm from the south but I'm not an ignorant red neck flying the Rebel Flag.

I know that one high official in the Confederate government said, "It looks like a pair of suspenders to me." The flag that your link depicts is the Confederate Battle Flag of Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. Historians are unclear about whether it ever flew anywhere else in the rest of the South.

Unfortunately, it seems to have acquired the reputation by its detractors as a symbol of southern white supremacy, which it is not, nor was it ever meant to be.

The confederate battle flag is a symbol from a time when the few (agrarians) stood against the many (industrialists) and defended their way of life against "progress."

Should we tell all those people with Cherokee Nation license plates that they lost and should just get over it?

Symbols are pretty damn inert and harmless unless you project some power onto them, which the hand wringing battle flag haters do. Those that hate it grant it any symbolic significance that it might have.

It is both funny and VERY telling that only liberals ever bring up the subject of the confederate battle flag.

To me the confederate flag means the southern states battle to keep slavery legal.

Plus when someone waves the confederate flag, I see the first amendment in action, weather I agree with their speech or not.

I seriously doubt anyone is trying to resurrect the confederacy or anything that it stood for. To some it means the spirit of rebellion. To others, it is just part of their heritage. Honestly, it means nothing to me. I'm a Yankee and always have been. At one point, it became popular due to a television series which had nothing to do with race. Just that spirit of rebellion. I can think of better flags to represent that imo but its a free country.

• ?

Southern Pride

Well, if you're sporting one there's a good chance that you might like Skynard so at least I'll have something I enjoy listening to because I might not care much for your political views. However, the boys in Skynard sure did not have a problem with the flag and they were actually quite socially-minded non-racist liberal Southerners so don't judge a book by its cover y'all.

• EIEIO

The Confederate flag represents the last time a large group of Americans stood up to the overwhelming power of the federal government. Hats off to Johnny Reb.