Should I buy high mileage motor oil? 5W-20 or 5W-30?

I have a 07 Camry le 4 cyl. I'm in need of an oil change and I'm going to do this one myself following having various 'professionals' leave various tools under my hood and overflowing the oil then trying to charge me twice for what they wasted.

My car has 107,000 miles on it and gets driven at least 100 miles per week if not further, majority of the miles have been put on the car in the past 2 1/2 years. I was looking at oil to try the find the best one I can on a budget that would benefit my car. Given the cars age, engine and mileage should I buy a high mileage oil? I was reading about the differences between 5W-20 oil and 5W-30 oil and was also wondering if I should get the 30?

Best Answer

If the car has been well maintained and is not leaking, why change? Use the specified grade and change as recommended in your manual. One caution with high mileage oils.......many have elevated levels of phosphorus which can harm catalytic converters. API SM/SN certified oils are limited to 800 ppm of phosphorus for this reason. An example would be Mobil 1 HM has 1000 ppm of phosphorus and is an API SL rated oil. That doesn't mean it's bad, but not the proper specifications for your vehicle.

Source(s): www.Mobiloil.com

The 2007-2009 Camry with the 2.4L I4 requires 4.5 quarts of new 0W-20 or 5W-20 oil with a filter change.

The high mileage oil is good for your car just because it's designed for the more worn out engines and has certain extras to keep it running clean and stay oiled up. I would use 5w-20 because that's what I see the car requires and usually it will actually tell you what type of oil to use right on the oil cap. But if not use 5w-20 and high mileage if you want to.

Source(s): I am a mechanic, and http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Toyota-Camry-Engine-Oil-Change-Guide/

0-20 is the preffered oil for that car. 5-20 is acceptable. Regular changes are more important than what type. More often especially on that engine they tend to build up sludge around the valve stems and will start smoking without regular oil changes

High mileage is good. Synthetic is better. I have been recommending it. It doesn't cost more in the long rung. You can go twice as long between changes and in a high mileage vehicle you don't get as much carbon build up and such. As far as I know though all 0-20 is synthetic