"Whatever It Takes" by Jane Mayer General Idea?

I need somebody to summarize me the arguments. I read it but I couldn't find the important details.

Favorite Answer

the following extract is from the web page (below): ‘Jack Bauer is a criminal’

Jane Mayer points out in her article “Whatever It Takes” (The New Yorker, Feb. 19 & 26) that U.S. military and F.B.I. interrogators say that “the show’s central political premise—that the letter of American law must be sacrificed for the country’s security—was having a toxic effect” and “had adversely affected the training and performance of real American soldiers.”

Mayer quotes Gary Solis, a retired law professor who designed and taught the Law of War for Commanders curriculum at West Point as saying that under both U.S. and international law, “Jack Bauer is a criminal. In real life, he would be prosecuted.” Yet many of his students—and many soldiers and many viewers—say, “Whatever it takes.”

• Erika

Whatever It Takes Summary