Can WordPress be installed in the root directory as opposed to a subfolder?

I've installed WordPress in a subdirectory but there is a problem with the email form where in the test site that is at root level was working just fine but when I copied the website to Yahoo sites on a subdirectory the form stops working. I cannot use the .htaccess file so I don't know what else to... show more I've installed WordPress in a subdirectory but there is a problem with the email form where in the test site that is at root level was working just fine but when I copied the website to Yahoo sites on a subdirectory the form stops working. I cannot use the .htaccess file so I don't know what else to do.
Please advise
Update: I actually host with Siteground at competitive prices and this is not a problem there. The issue is according to the theme creator as follows: "Please contact to your hosting provider and ask them to set email settings on your server. Everything is working fine except the reservation form so please contact you... show more I actually host with Siteground at competitive prices and this is not a problem there. The issue is according to the theme creator as follows:
"Please contact to your hosting provider and ask them to set email settings on your server. Everything is working fine except the reservation form so please contact you hosting service provider to configure you email setting and let me know."
Email on your server needs to be able to get from the forms as it perfectly does in a different hosting server on identical conditions. I'm even using en email created in yahoo smllbsnss with the same domain, a working and active email for the account.