Why is there a negative connotation with being single by choice?

I do not want to be in a relationship. I have been in long term relationships and there were more downsides than it was worth.

The girls were bitchy, they said one thing but meant/wanted another, it was all about what they wanted and how I have to "man up" so they can have it.

Now, I have decided that I would much rather be single. These women that I have been with were just not worth the headaches that they caused. The things is people think that I am gay because I decline really attractive women.

Why can't people just be happy for me that I am content with where I am in life?

Best Answer

I say the heck with what people think. I understand you have had bad experiences with some women. However, not all of them are the way you described. If you are content with being and remaining single...do you and have fun with it. The funny thing about it is that most of the time, the ones who aren't looking for someone are the ones who find that right person. There is nothing wrong with being single and dating and having fun. Do not listen to or let people dictate your state of mind and how you are feeling today. There are a lot of up-sides to being single.

If you are content then don't worry about what others think. The thing that troubles me is that you have had relationship with women who were bitchy. The truth is, we're not all like that although I can understand your fear of ending up hurt again, just keep in mind that there are an awful lot of nice women. At least consider that these "bitchy" women are women YOU have chose to be with.

If you ever change your mind, change your criteria. Raise your standards and don't settle.

It depends what crowd you run with. If you're friends with serial monogamists, of course they're going to think it's strange that you are single. In the city it's a lot more acceptable to be single because there's so much to experience and to do it's no fun being tied down. Plenty of people go through a "play the field" phase, and if you completely wipe out options and replace them with new ones - that's all part of the game.

There isn't really negative connotation about being single. The only negative connotation comes from people who are single just because they want to sleep around.

Ask these people if they have ever just wanted SPACE and the FREDOM to get their life in order or BURNED out on the opposite sex? Most people will related to these points.