I want to join the US Air Force but need some answers before I talk to a recruiter (background check)?

I had a pretty bad juvenile record when I was between the ages 12-17. My probation officer told me not to tell any jobs or the military because I wasnt convicted as an adult. I was underage so they wouldnt be on my record. excluding any charges I got as an adult. (I have none as an adult) im 22 now (23 in Nov. Of 2014) and passed a background check with the FBI/ATF and have purchased guns. (For personal/home defence and recreation). So my question is with all that being said will I pass the background check at MEPS? I want to be honest but i dont want to look like a criminal. If the FBI/ATF didnt see my record will MEPS? I learned my lesson and changed my ways. I graduated high school and Ive graduated from the Aviation Institute of Maintenance and wanna persue a career in the military. Im not stupid I just made bad decisions as a kid and hung around the wrong people. I had no male father figure/ role model growing up. I dont do drugs and recently quit smoking ciggaretts.

Favorite Answer

Paul has no idea what hes talking about...just saying

1

Source(s): Background Checks Search Database - http://BackgroundChecks.raiwi.com/?gEpM

Your probation office is setting you up to fail! If he/she was advising you to LIE, they should not be in that job!

First let's clear something up. It does NOT matter if you 'did it as a kid' or not. It is NOT gone from your record, it is STILL there. It is NEVER sealed FROM the government - they can always see them. The military WILL see them!

You didn't say what your 'bad juvenile record' involved. Charges, how many, adjudication, etc. The FACT you had a probation officer is NOT A GOOD THING! That means there were some convictions, and they must have been serious. I knew a kid that shoplifted. They got in trouble, they got arrested, but they didn’t have to check in with a probation officer (as an example).

Simply passing a ATF/FBI background check and being able to purchase guns because of that doesn't mean you are in the clear for enlistment purposes! The ATF/FBI background check is just a SPECIFIC check (a 'yes/no') to make sure you have not been convicted of a FELONY (like abuse against a family member) that would prohibit you from owning a gun, handling a firearm, possessing a firearm! It is also a check to make sure there are no current felony charges PENDING against you, and that there are no current warrants out for you arrest!

So don't breathe easy yet. The fact you can own a gun is great, means that won't be an issue but there are still potential roadblocks that could be a roadblock or an absolute BAR to getting in the service!

It is all going to depend on what your 'record' has, and I am telling you, since it involved a probation officer, and you said 'pretty bad' suggests there is an extensive list, and that is not going to well for you. Not having a father figure is going to mean NOTHING. Even young children have a basic sense of what is RIGHT and WRONG, and many of them also have a parent missing from the home, or a bad home life, and don't turn to 'thuggery'.

You don’t do drugs. Good. But HAVE YOU EVER?

so if you want to come back with your 'history' I can give you a better idea, but in general, if you have convictions for, or involvement with, charges related to the following - you are going to have some problems:

- Assault against a family member

- Assault and battery

- Possession of weed, narcotics, intent to distribute

- Any felony (that does not affect gun rights)

- Gang involvement

- Robbery, theft, serious misdemeanors for anything related to it

- Terroristic threats

-legal trouble for moving violations (too many of…)

- Chronic shoplifting

- Use of a weapon in the commission of a crime (this can include a bat, a knife, eetc)

- Sexual assault

- DUI

- Possession of paraphernalia (suggests drug activity)

And this is not even including 'adverse adjudication'...and charges 'dropped' or 'downgraded' in exchange for a guilty plea to a lesser charge? any reduction or dismissal of charges in exchange for going to a class, doing community service, completing probation, 'sealed records' upon completion of a class - all of these are 'adverse adjudications' and looked upon as a conviction of the original charge.

What about other things? You mentioned air force. Is your credit good? You can have debt, but is it well managed? Do you have debt in default or collections (those are show stoppers)? Ever had court-required counseling for other than grief / death? Ever spend the night in the hospital over a mental issue?

The 'past' may haunt you as well when it comes to a security clearance. ALL air force jobs require a clearance. If you can't get a clearance (and your note indicates this may be a problem) - then you can't be in the Air Force.

The Army has SOME positions that do not require a clearance, but the trend is that ALL military positions will require a clearance within the next 5 years, and the ability to stay IN the military will be contingent on maintaining eligibility or that clearance.

So I think you are going to have some problems here Kiefer...

EDIT: Paul is confused. there are NO waivers for drugs. Especially not for the Air Force. I have never heard of anyone getting in with any kind of 'drug waiver'. The Air Force has never been desperate for troops

EDIT2: Paul, i must respectfully disagree with you. I have never known anyone to get a 'drug waiver' ever. at least not for the Air Force, and NOT for at least the last 15 years. The AF has NEVER been hard-up for recruits to where they would even need to consider one. Some waivers yes, but drugs? nope.

First off, if you DO enlist .. tell them EVERYTHING. Why? Because if you are going to do a job that requires a security clearance they WILL go into your juvenile records. National Security Trumps EVERYTHING, never forget that. Many jobs in the Military require a Confidential (least) to Secret (common for most jobs).. most Intel jobs and communications, weapon systems etc require a Top Secret. Just tell your recruiter everything and let Him/Her figure out what waivers are needed.

There ARE waivers for drug issues.. but if you have to get a TS/SCI clearance like I had (Communications Intelligence), you can kiss that unless you have someone pulling strings. I've heard of stranger things happening.

You do NOT need a black cloud over your head.. because if you do NOT disclose this stuff and they find it out later (which they WILL).. you will be in serious trouble.. and let me tell you, the LAST thing you want is an Other Than Honorable Discharge.. it will follow you for LIFE. I kept my nose clean and served Honorably.. you can too.. just do the right thing Kiefer.

Btw.. the Air Farce (pun intended) is very strict about some of this crap from the past. Even too many TICKETS can be an impediment. The Army, Navy & Marines are a bit more forgiving than the Air Force. My stepson tried getting in the Air Force in 2002.. he had a 4.0 GPA in High School.. had 1 year of college 3.8 GPA .. but 3 speeding tickets. The Air Force said NO, So.. he had a stellar 4 year hitch in the US Navy and loved every moment of it.

Be prepared.

Good Luck

** Edit to add.. you people who are INCORRECTLY stating that the military cannot access Juvenile records need to STFU because you know NOT what you are talking about.. basically you are talking out your A$$es. YES the Military CAN and DOES go into juvenile records depending on what kind of JOB and what Security Clearance an individual has.

"Page 10 of the SF-86 contains a statement which you sign authorizing release of ANY information about you to Security Clearance Investigators. This means that investigators can access any and all information about you, including sealed records, juvenile records, expunged records, and medical records."

** REALLY JOSEPH? Lets see.. give us some examples where I dont know what I'm talking about? Come on big boy.. you opened your mouth.. Otherwise you're nothing more than a damned troll.

*** Retired AF - I agree almost 100%.. except YES.. there ARE drug waivers.. look it up. I've helped a number of young men get them for enlistment into the Navy, two got SEAL contracts afterwards.. Understand they CANNOT be felonies but only for USAGE ..not any other charges etc.

It is against the law for the military to insist you reveal details of any juvenile record - you get a pass on any convictions or periods of detention up until you are 18 unless you were convicted of a serious crime that was classed as you "being an adult" - which is basically murder or rape.

Forget those things ever happened, the law gives you a break so give yourself a break. If the application asks if you have been convicted of any crimes answer "no".

This is your second chance, grab it with both hands and be successful in the military and in the life that will follow the military - great things lie ahead of you and the past is just that, the past.

• Mrsjvb

no such thing as sealed, expunged or hidden. you must disclose EVERYTHING. failure to do so is fraud.. a felony.

more than 3 charges even as a minor and you will never be allowed to serve, especially in the AF,

even one drug or alcohol related charge will forever keep you out.

You should be ok, I wouldn't bring it up. If the ATF/FBI didn't see any flaws, I am highly doubtful the Air Force will.