mh5 asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 6 years ago

NROTC Tier 3 Major Scholarship?

I have to decide between applying for a Navy NROTC scholarship or a marine option one! I'd prefer to go with the Navy option, but my problem is that I will be a political science/international relations major, which isnt anywhere in the neighborhood of tier 1. So I need to figure out whether I should take my chances and see if my creds are good enough to get me a Navy scholarship with a tier 3 major, or whether or not I should go with the Marine option and have a much better shot at the scholarship. (If I had to go Marine option, I would not be doing so halfheartedly). I'm also applying to the academy, which is my primary goal, but I still have to make this decision because i'm not going to assume i'll have any success with the academy application unless I actually do have success with it.

So here are my creds:

SAT - 2290

CR: 790

WR: 780

Math: 720

Weighted GPA: 4.10 out of 4.76

First decile (top 10% of class)

My high school is a very competitive public school in NY state, and we have had multiple guys going into service academies and NROTC dets within the past few years.

Sports:

Cross country, indoor track, and outdoor track for all of high school, with varsity letters in each since sophomore year. I will continue these going into my senior year and will be cross country captain this fall.

Clubs:

Class President/student council for all four years

Student Adviser to the District Superintendent

National Honor Society (applying for a leadership position)

Varsity Athletes Against Substance Abuse (committee chairman)

Freshman Mentor

Spanish Language Club

Honors Societies in all departments except art, but I dont think most colleges take these very seriously.

Orchestra (I've played an instrument for 8 years now)

I'm not going to list every little club or involvement, but these are my major ones.

ECAs:

Long term volunteer at regional hospital, working as an assistant in the Pharmacy staff

Committee Chairman, Local Hospice Organization

Youth member of police department

Currently applying for a congressional internship this summer, I feel confident with this application

I know it's difficult to give advice on these "what are my chances" questions, but any insight into whether or not it would be remotely likely for me to receive a navy scholarship with a tier 3 major would be very greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!

Favorite Answer

I can tell you exactly what the Navy Option board will tell you:

Change that T3 to a T2 or make it an LREC and we'll talk. Otherwise, not happening.

You would actually be competitive as a Marine Option, though.

Source(s): Active-duty Navy and NROTC instructor

If the military considers that major as a Tier III...that should tell you something about the viability and worth of that major

Just sayin