Check if SSD is dead?

Hi I have a SanDisk 256 GB SSD. I installed it into an ASUS tower, and installed windows 7 on it, along with my needed drivers. Everything worked fine until i reinstalled the original HDD. My intention was to wipe the original HDD and use it as just storage. Upon putting the HDD back in, Windows 7 would not boot beyond the "starting windows" screen, would blue screen for a split second a restart. I tried many troubleshooting techniques and ended up putting the original HDD back in and the tower works fine. Now I am trying to salvage the SSD. I plug it into my Macbook and erasing the SSD in disk utility causes disk utility to freeze, and when I try to format it on my Windows 8 partition, nothing happens. I have Seatools installed but Seatools will not enter the program all the way when the SSD is plugged in. Any suggestions on what else I can do to save the SSD? Or am I just out of luck?

• IBMGuy
    Favorite Answer

That should not have happened, either the ssd had an old firmware or it has an incompatibility with your old drive and BIOS or maybe one drive was set to non AHCI and the other was set to AHCI.

It is a bad idea to copy the data from your old to new drive if that is what you did. ALWAYS install fresh using the windows disk when installing a new SSD drive.

If it is not too late to return the drive as faulty do that and this time get a Samsung SSD840 Evo which seem to be less troublesome than other SSD drives. I would try the SSD in a different pc if you can (remove the data connector to the existing hard drive first) and see if it still gets recognized in BIOS. If it does and all seems OK with the drive set your computer BIOS to AHCI mode and try to boot with your old drive again, if you get a blue screen then you know this may have been the reason for the clash when both drives were connected. Simply re-enable/disable the ACHI mode in BIOS to allow your old drive to boot again as it was before.

As far as I know ALL SSD drives need to work in the AHCI mode. There is a work around for windows 7 to change it from NON AHCI to AHCI mode, check it on Google or youtube, If this is the problem you should then be able to connect both drives up together in AHCI Mode and they should both be recognized OK. At this point I would try a firmware update on the Sandisk SSD drive.

After doing that Download the Sandisk Toolbox http://kb-eu.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9... and install it to your old win 7 then use the utility to try refreshing the ssd drive and start again with a FRESH install of windows 7 from a disc with the old drive disconnected.

After you get a successful install to the ssd I would (as a precaution) reconnect the the old drive with an sata/ide USB adaptor to get any documents off the old drive.

You said you put the HDD in twice without taking it out....

"Upon putting the HDD back in, Windows 7 would not boot beyond the "starting windows" screen, would blue screen for a split second a restart. I tried many troubleshooting techniques and ended up putting the original HDD back in"

While you are rewording that, it seems the SSD fails to work as it should in both the Asus and the MacBook. A drive is a drive. Unless the drive is damaged, it can be used in either PC or Mac... but this drive can't be used in either PC or Mac. Therefore, it is damaged.

<0-0>

• Marduk

I was using an SSD as boot drive in my build, bad move. I changed to HDD but I am using SSD for programs and it works so I think there is something wrong with yours and connecting it to computers may not be the best of ideas. If you just bought it contact Sandisk and get a new one. They are warranted.

• Dick

Go to download.com and search for a program called KillDisk. You can wipe the SSD with it.

Also, you can actually wipe a drive using CCleaner if you have that. It's available for free at download.com also.