Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 6 years ago

1988 gmc suburban 350 gas tbi?

When I start my truck the tbi unit will catch fire the injectors will drip gas then start to spray then goes back to dripping gas truck will only stay running for about 40 sec it back fires though to tbi also the tbi unit is new

4 Answers

Relevance
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The TBI unit WAS new. Now that it's been on fire a couple of times, it is no longer new, and MAY not be serviceable. The individual fuel injectors MAY be replaced separately without having to replace the entire valve body. Also, check your fuel pump. The fuel dripping from an injector instead of spraying may be from lack of fuel pressure

The MAIN reason for a carburetor (OR TBI unit) catching fire is from the ignition timing being off. A spark plug is firing with one of the intake valves open, causing a back-fire and the resultant TBI conflagration.

• J J
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

If it is new and it is dripping gas then it is defective. Have you been playing around with the spark plug wires change the distributor cap?

• 6 years ago

sounds like it might be the fuel regulator letting too much gas pour in ! pull the hose off of it and see if there,s any gas in the hose, there should be no gas in the vacuum hose !

• 6 years ago

I hope you have a fire extinguisher handy while you're figuring out this problem. You either have a fuel line leak or gasket leak. Find it, fix it or let her BURN

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.