Sarah
Lv 4

Is Justice "White" only?

Given yesterday's verdict in the State of Florida v. Michael Dunn the case concluded with a hung jury with the white 47 yr old Dunn fatally shooting the 17 yr old black Jordan Davis over "music being too loud." In this case the jury failed to reach a unanimous verdict and what's more, is that the charges they could agree on were those far less than the State had asked for which were 1st or 2nd degree murder. A new trial will now need to held.

In July 2013, the Hispanic George Zimmerman in the case of State of Florida v. George Zimmerman was acquitted of fatally shooting 17 yr old black Trayvon Martin on his way back from a convenience store, who was unarmed and only bringing back candy.

In December 2013, the State of Texas v. Keller, a white 16 yr old teen was given 10 yrs of probation for killing four people and injuring several more in a rehabilitation facility costing his parents (thankfully not taxpayers) $450,000.00 US. a year. The teen, whose lawyer successfully argued an "affluenza defense" claimed he was so wealthy he had no idea of the consequences of his actions. He will not serve a single day in jail - for killing four people.

In California, a 33 yr old black man has been sentenced to 17 yrs in prison for possession of marijuana with intent to distribute. He has exhausted nearly all appeals and most likely will have to serve all of his sentence.

Is THIS justice? Why are whites or say even a Hispanic able to retain justice over that of blacks? Why do you think our society is still functioning this way? What accounts for this?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Chet
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's not a white/black thing. It is a rich/poor thing.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Leo
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

He still faces retrial on the murder charge. As it is he is facing heavy prison time, probably an effective life sentence. If that's the case then I don't see how the specific charges he is convicted on really matter. I also think that people who reflexively refer to this verdict as "white justice" are doing the cause of equal justice a disservice. Data shows that minorities are disproportionately convicted of crimes when compared to white defendants charged with a similar offense. There is an unfairness in the system. However the Dunn verdict is not an example of that.

• 6 years ago

In the Dunn case, the jury was undecided, IF you believe your life is in danger you have the right to defend yourself. In this case he thought he say the barrel of a gun, which would give him the right to defend himself, BUT it didn't give him the right to shoot randomly at the van. After all the passengers weren't a threat to him.

A black man shoot an UNARMED white teen, self defense. Roderick Scott look it up. It's basically Zimmerman in reverse.

Funny you should bring up Ethan Couch case as Brian Jennings, Breanna Mitchell, Hollie Boyles, Shelby Boyles. They weren't black, Couch was in juvenile court which is why he only got probation.

In your last case, we don't know the history of the man, so we really can't comment on it.

• 6 years ago

Good question, yet what was it that you believe Zimmerman did that required a guilty verdict? You say Martin was just walking and just had candy? I must admit that's a bit of a disingenuous characterization of Martins actions and the various facts associated with the case.

What was Zimmerman! Zimmerman factually was a registered Democrat, he factually mentored black youth, he factually was a taxpayer, a voter, a volunteer, a benefactor, was active in his HOA, factually had a history of black activism, was employed and even testified against the police on behalf of a black man in court.

What was Martins resume' again?

Respectfully,

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

hung jury on one of 5 charges

he was convicted on 3 counts of Attempted Murder

and 1 count of shooting at an occupied vehicle

possible senteces up to 30 years each for the Attempted murder charges and up to 15 years for shooting at the vehicle

so he will get as much as 105 years in Prison

the jury could not agree on the first degree murder charge probably because the defendent said he thought he saw a firearm

at 47 years old Dunn will probably die in Prison for what he did

how is that not Justice?

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Understandable white males have been threatened by our ''President'' no less Mr Obama told his Hispanic supporters to join blacks in his fight with what he called ''our enemies'' and went on ''if they bring a knife to this fight we will bring a gun'' Mr Obama was very upset over this Trayvon/Zimmerman deal ''that could be my son'' ''that could be me'' ''I am asking Eric Holder to look into it'' Look we are called racist at every turn and greedy told ''you did not build this'' he instilled a sense of entitlement ''they should share with you what they have'', his friend and uncle feels America got what it deserved on 9/11 we must protect our families our self and our way of life

• 6 years ago

Sarah, you left off many cases of blacks "getting off" starting with OJ. I do ,however, agree the affluenza case with the young spoiled brat was beyond ridiculous, but this case, I think, has less to do with race, and more to do with wealth.

• 6 years ago

He's still facing 20 years each for the three 'lesser charges'. Given his age, he would likely die in prison, same as if he got the murder 1 charge. Do you want them to keep his corpse locked up or something?

• 6 years ago

orange county district attorney office phone number

http://orangecountydistrictattorney.blogspot.com/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.