Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 7 years ago

How to make a laser pointer?

I have a PS3 that won't read discs. I think I might just pull the laser diode out and user for a laser pointer. What all will I need?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

A laser pointer has four main components: diode, driver, power supply, a lens, and host (housing with button and electrical connections).

The first thing you need to do is find out which version of the PS3 laser diode you have. I think the old ones have five pins sticking out. The new ones are called the slim version.

Then you need to find out what the specs are. I think the wavelength is 405 nm (far-violet bordering on ultraviolet). Output is usually 20 mW, or four times as powerful as the average cheap laser pointer. However, the human eye is far less sensitive to 405 nm than other wavelengths. According to CIE 1978 (a chart showing eye sensitivity at different wavelengths) it would take 925 mW of light at 405 nm to equal the apparent brightness of a cheap green laser pointer (5 mW 532 nm).

The next step is to find out what kind of driver you need. That's a very small circuit board between the laser diode and the battery, with a battery connection on the other end. Some people make their own with resistors and capacitors from Radio Shack.

Then you need to find out how much power the drive needs, which will tell you what kind of battery you need. Laser pointers usually run off AAA, but high-powered ones need lithium-ion batters ($1 online) with built-in protection circuit (raises the price to $20). The charger costs about $1. I don't know if you need lithium-ion for this, maybe AAA would work. It all depends on the specs.

For a lens and host, the usual procedure is to "knock out" a cheap laser pointer and take whatever parts you need.

When connecting the laser diode to the driver, watch out for ESD (electrostatic discharge). The capacitors need to be dully discharged. 405 nm diodes are especially sensitive to that.

• ?

for making a laser pointer, it is not impossible.

first you need a diode, power supply, lens.

if you are willing to, just seperate DVD machine, you can get a desired diode.

Prfessor has told you the following things.

Maybe the most useful method is, just bought one!

http://www.laserto.com/ can solve it for you! LOL