Tax refund being reviewed does this mean they will send me a letter informing me I will be audited?

When I checked the status of my tax refund it says it is being reviewed. They need additional information and will send me a notice within 30 days, and do not try to contact them until I receive the notice. I only got a partial refund so far. Does this mean I will not receive the rest? What type of information could they be looking for?

• Favorite Answer

It means that they need more information before sending you the rest of your refund. Most likely they refunded the excess tax that was withheld since that was not in question. The two most common reasons for this happening are questions on the EIC and the American Opportunity Credit.

I had called the IRS because I filed Feb. 5 and still haven't heard anything. They told me mine was under review to make sure everything is right and that there isn't any identity theft going on. Its the first time me and my husband filed together so I think that was a issue too, but If they only sent you part. You either owe so they took out what u owed and gave you the remaining, that happened to me as well.

• Judy

They are looking for proof that you have a right to whatever you claimed that they are questioning. Very possibly somethingIlike a dependent, or EIC. If you provide proof that you are entitled to whatever it is, you'll get the rest of your refund. They might want birth certificates, or school records showing where a child lives.

Mine also says the same thing. I only got part of mine also and i was a lil worried because idk what it could be