Chevy Equinox or Honda CRV?

A bit of a ramble here. Sorry about it. I have broken it up into sections to make it easier to read. I am looking for a small SUV. I am getting older and I need a higher seat for easy entry and exit. I am only looking at vehicles built in the USA or Canada. This would likely be my retirement vehicle. I am not... show more A bit of a ramble here. Sorry about it. I have broken it up into sections to make it easier to read.

I am looking for a small SUV. I am getting older and I need a higher seat for easy entry and exit. I am only looking at vehicles built in the USA or Canada. This would likely be my retirement vehicle.

I am not decided between new and a 1 or 2 year old lease return vehicle.

I have eliminated the Escape as I have a 2004 Focus and while I am OK with it the mileage has been disappointing (22 MPG average) and the reliability has been poorer than I would like. In 112,000 miles it is on its 5th alternator. There have been a good many other things as well.

I am very happy with the mileage my daughter gets with her 2005 Chevy Cavalier and it has been quite reliable.

This led me to the Equinox. A 4 cylinder with 2WD. However, online I see all kinds of people who have had engine issues, especially the 2010 and 2011. Serious issues, The Equinox shows a medium frequency of repairs compared to the CRV which has a far lower repair rate..

My son in law has a Canadian built 2010 Civic and in his 100,000 mile son it, it has been very reliable. I feel bit like a traitor looking at a Japanese brand vehicle even though it is built in Canada with 60% US/Canadian content. Compared to the Equinox with 65%. Though I did have a Miata for a couple years and it only had one issue in the 3 years I owned it.

Anyone out there have any opinions other than blind loyalty to a brand??
Update: There is a car show here in Vancouver next month and I plan to try out the ergonomics on multiple vehicles. The sight lines and gauges are indeed important to me. I understand what people are saying about the GM 4 cylinder. The GM has had issues. The V6 has a great reputation and I can afford that option and the... show more There is a car show here in Vancouver next month and I plan to try out the ergonomics on multiple vehicles. The sight lines and gauges are indeed important to me.

I understand what people are saying about the GM 4 cylinder. The GM has had issues. The V6 has a great reputation and I can afford that option and the gas. But being able to afford it does not mean I want to burn the extra fuel getting around.

Sometimes I think a good part of the reliability difference is that the owners of Japanese cars may tend to take care of them better. While buyers of US vehicles may slack off.

Regardless, I want to thank those who answered with their well reasoned and detailed answers. Just the sort of feedback I am looking for. I will be driving this vehicle into my senior years and I want reliability above most all else.