would you adopt a black dog..?

my friend works for a pet rescue.She told me it's harder to

find homes for black dogs.

your opinion....why is that?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago

Absolutely.

In fact, if I had to go on color, I'd pick a black dog over any other color. In my opinion, black dogs look regal & elegant, more ''serious'' if that's the right word. My dog is solid black & he's beautiful.

I think it's partly superstition - many people still, stupidly, believe the old tale that black animals are ''evil'' or ''bad luck'' - same goes for black cats. A year ago, when I went to visit my local animal shelter - most of the cats were black or black and white. On the other hand, I've heard that people think black dogs look more ''vicious'' or tend to be more ''aggressive'', which is bull.

I also suppose that people might consider black a ''boring'' and ''dull'' color, and not ''pretty'' - therefore might prefer brighter, more ''welcoming'' colors such as Yellow, Brown, White, Tri etc. I suppose black doesn't stand out as well in a shelter row, as a bright yellow dog does.

I love black dogs the most - they're beautiful. I love the coloring.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Grinch
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Of course.

Every animal I've adopted has been black. Both my rescue dogs are black, all my rescue cats were black, even the SNAKE someone was going to turn loose in the woods was black. I adopt the black ones on purpose.

Many people are suspicious (black cats are bad luck, etc.) or think a black animal is more intimidating for whatever reason. Some people just don't like the color. I prefer it.

• justme
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

It has nothing to do with the dog being black (as in some sort of discrimination).

The simple reason is that black dogs do not photograph well. You can't see their eyes or noses because they blend in with the hair. The same thing happens when people go into a shelter to look at dogs. When there are many to look at, you just glance at them as you walk by.

When people look at animals (and people) the first thing noticed is the face, in particular the eyes. If the eyes blend in with the hair (most dogs eyes are black or brown), you cant see the eyes well. So when looking at pictures or even walking by kennels if you don't immediately notice the dogs eyes (and its subconscious), you move on.

BTW, my dog is a black and silver mini schnauzer.

• 6 years ago

I have TWO adopted black dogs right now ...

one is a tri-pod and missing a back leg - too.

Black dogs are harder to photograph well, so many are not represented well on adoption websites.

Our rescue group doesn't have any problem placing black greyhounds over the other colors.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

My current dog is my first (and probably last) rescue. He's a black lab + unknown. I was kind of shocked to see that the shelter here has a special program for black dogs because apparently people are complete idiots.

Completely different from what I'm used to in the cattle world where everyone wants black cattle.

• 6 years ago

Black dogs are harder to photograph and a lot of people are actually afraid of black dogs. Yes, I would own a black dog, in fact, the only color dog I would not own would be a white one.

I actually owned a black beagle mix, many years ago.

Attachment image
  • 6 years ago

Quite a few people are superstitious and won't adopt black dogs. In Islam black dogs are believed to be a manifestation of evil in animal form. I own two black dogs and I think most of the dogs I've owned were black. People shouldn't buy a dog just for what they look like.

• 6 years ago

I rescued a Black Lab dog. Not only is he Black;

- he has bitten humans

- he has killed people's cats

- he has a 5 year old kill order out on him

And I say; "SO WHAT !!!". He is a perfectly GOOD DOG now and I am reasonably positive that he will remain so.

• 6 years ago

I have two. Both rescues. One is a now 7 year old Great Dane. I adopted her when she was 1. The other is a Beagle/Lab she was 7 months when we got her for our son. We also have a pure black Bombay Cat. She was a rescue also. They aren't 100% sure she is Bombay but looks like it. lol

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Probably yes - depends more on the type of dog then the color of the dog.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.