Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 7 years ago

If God created the universe, who created God? If the Big Bang began the universe, who/what began the Big Bang?

I am an atheist. I find that many atheists bring up the argument, "If God created the universe, then who created him?"

However, I don't believe that this argument truly works in favor of atheism. Because if the Big Bang were what began the world, then something had to have started it as well. If you say "nothing can just exist", then you must also use that in regards to the Big Bang as well. Unless there's some sort of infinite-loop going on, but again, what started /that/?

Of course no one can really know the answer, since this question is too big for us to answer, so there's no right or wrong here. I just want to hear your opinions without hostility.

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If God created the universe, who created God?

~~~ Not anything, ever, is 'created'!

It is a paradox because it is a false assumption.

There is One (unchanging, ALL inclusive) Reality!

This Reality is uniquely 'perceived' by all of us unique Perspectives.

There is One Consciousness peeking from all eyes.

No creation, perception of what IS!

If the Big Bang began the universe, who/what began the Big Bang?

~~~ THe Universe is a thought, all at once, an Enlightening moment of Self Awareness for the Universe/Nature/God...

Imagine the little cartoon light that pops on over someone's head that suddenly gets a good idea or revelation (perceived thought)?

Well, imagine the entire Universe seeing out of every eye all at the same time!

One humongous moment of Self Knowledge!

I'd say that would be a pretty Big Bang!

Metaphor...

It works like that.

There was no physical something from nothing! Those beliefs are no less absued than mermaids!

THe Universe is Consciousness OurSelf!

Every moment of existence exists Now!

"The Laws of Nature are not rules controlling the metamorphosis of what is, into what will be. They are descriptions of patterns that exist, all at once... " - Genius; the Life and Science of Richard Feynman

All 'eternity' at once; Now!!

There is only one moment (Planck moment = 10^-43/sec; "almost" one billion trillion trillion trillionths of a second!!!) of the entirety of existence/Reality/the Universe!

All existence, ever, is one, literally, 'timeless' moment!

Now!

"Reality is a synchrony of moments!" - Book of Fudd

All moments are perceived Here! Now!

Even the imaginary 'future' and the mnemonic 'past', all perceived Here! Now!

Talk about a 'Big Bang!'!!! *__-

• 7 years ago

42. The Answer to the Ultimate Question, Of Life, The Universe, And Everything, is: 42.

But, Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy references aside, I find it interesting that perhaps all this debating over whether twas the Big Bang or God is just like an argument over what name a certain insect goes by. Maybe everyone should move past the name and go on to what the rest of the questions are.

Also, there is the possibility that the Universe is just one of many, like the cells in every living thing's body. Makes me wonder what else there is. Regardless, just do what ye think is right, live in the present, and stop to pet the small dogs and cats and etc. as ye walk the roads of life. Now, I'm off to go reach further elightenment by lifting a pencil five times and then throwing it across the room. Da svidaniya!

Source(s): Douglas Adams, Star Wars, Dune, Doctor Who, and several other random outcroppings of ken
  • J. C.
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Just because Christians have "identified" God as the creator of the universe, does not mean that God actually created the universe.

Nor does it mean that the universe actually exists. My body has cells, but it is unlikely that each individual cell experiences reality or "reality" in the same manner that I do as a collective body,; a person.

One may imagine that a composite being may exist at a different level of awareness, of which I am but a part, that experiences a different reality than I do. This can happen many times, in theory, given the size and scope of the universe.

And STILL we are no closer to knowing if the universe was created, or simply exists.

Luckily, that's a question that doesn't require an answer.

• 7 years ago

If everything was created/caused by something that came before it, then who created God? This is the argument of infinite regression, and all atheists find the First Cause theory irrational.

For want of a better theory, science accepts the Big Bang. Unfortunately what appeared before the singularity which resulted in the Big Bang is unknown, as of now.

However science has also convincingly established that the human mind is severely limited in understanding natural phenomena: witness the "madness" of quantum mechanics.

But because we do not understand something certainly does not mean that we need to invent a god. We need to keep scratching at the edges and the universe will reveal its secrets. Lightning was god's thunderbolt a few hundred years back, we now know it is electricity.

An atheist disbelieves in god, he is under no compulsion to produce an alternate belief. If someone says that he believes in the green goblin as a holy truth, you can safely disbelieve him without having to believe in or produce proof of a red ogre.

We will get there, no worries, without seeking recourse to creating a god.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

In both cases it was something, that always was(both God, and the Big-Bang matter are the same, when you look at the mechanics).

If you break Religion down to the math, it basically says the Universe(all that is) is the Physical body of God(it's how he is everything, and everything is of him).

If you look at the Science, it pretty much says the same, especially now Higgs-Boson proves there is no space, the Universe is 1 entity.

The big question is, does it have a 'mind', is it a living creature, or random. Religion says they believe it's alive, Science isn't sure, and Atheists say they believe it's not alive.

• 7 years ago

I agree with your point about the Big Bang and the atheist argument not being valid on the subject. However I believe you have the wrong idea about God and infinity, which can be used interchangeably. That which is which is without beginning or end "is" always and forever, therefore having no origin is the source of all of existence. Always and forever is not created nor does it start or stop, thus it is not logical to ask where or whence it came because it just "is". Just as energy and matter cannot be created or destroyed, only made to change form, the concept of God is not subject to the human notion of "cause and effect", or beginning and end. By definition God is all there is, was and ever will be, as omnipresence suggest.

Im not trying to convince you or prove that there is a God. but only pointing out the context in which God is considered. Your understanding of God is like defining leprechauns as 7'0" Asians who where red. The mind's presumption that cause and effect is inherent to reality is why one typically concludes that someone or something created God. Cause and effect is perceptual and is limited the tangible linear realm of form. Outside on the mind's linear paradigm of form is the intangible, nonlinear formless realm, which is beyond the the domain of material science. God as the Source of all sources is what God means, thus there is no greater source, and it would reasonable to conclude that God is the Absolute.

• Todd
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Monotheism is a concept that helps people adjust to reality, not a tangible thing. Humans frequently create concepts to build a reality as a survival trait. I'm not knocking theism or organized religion. The point about having faith, an indiscernible and pliable faith at that, is actually a good thing for creating social structure. It, in a weird way, allows people to team up.

Answer: beliefs have nothing to do with straight logic.

• 7 years ago

You've just discovered that it is equally as difficult to defend atheism in this regard as it is to defend "creationism". Both, in my view, require a leap of faith (religion) and neither has a claim to validity.

Atheism is not the espousal of a well-developed logical "whole"; it is the rejection of something else and in this regard has an empty character to it that must be troubling to those who do ascribe to it. I do not imply here that either atheism or (say) Christianity is better; it is only that neither choice helps to explain, without resorting to mysticism, the universe we live in. "Evolution" as a "theory of everything" is profoundly flawed and, in my view, requires blinding oneself to much of natural phenomenon (the appearance of consciousness is a good example) to be able to accept it.

Want an interesting read on some of these issues? Read Thomas Nagel's ( a Nobel Laureate in philosophy and Logic) "Mind and the Cosmos". Nagel does not accept creationism; but he doesn't accept the current reductionist notions either.

• 7 years ago

God created everything, He is the Alpha and Omega, He has always been, there is no beginning or end to Him, He is so far beyond anything we can fathom yet alone look at and if we knew all the answers then there would be no need for faith, faith that God does exist and that it is thru His son Jesus and the blood Jesus shed for us that our sins are forgiven, believing in what the bible tells us and applying that in our daily lives (or at least trying to) believing in something or someone you have never seen and in a story that leaves so many questions unanswered and baffled is quite hard to do but its that belief that gets us into to Heaven and knowing all the answers would change all that but one day in time all of our questions will be answered so altho we dont have the answers to questions that we believe have no answer my feelings are that if there is a God (and I truly believe there is) and you had faith there was then Heaven here you come but if you did not believe then to Hell you go. So given a choice between the two (God or no God) you have nothing to lose by believing and everything to lose by not believing...plus if you do believe you'll get an answer to your questions!

• 7 years ago

We don't know, of course. It is apparently in young people's contracts to bang their heads against this wall for a time, and we all do that in our turn.

As you say, it really is kind of silly that we argue and fight with each other over which of our baseless conjectures is most worthy.

On the other hand, it is valid to follow the science as far as it takes us - and it does take us to a big bang, however facking perplexing THAT is. Gee thanks, science. But that too becomes one more thing we're stuck with that we don't properly understand either. Oh well.

• 7 years ago

God is a rebel without a cause. Randomness, not cause for concern. Either way, dont worry.

Actually if you look at it the entity {universe} cannot have a cause outside of itself, so the uniiverse is uncaused howerer you look at it. For outside of the brackets there is no more universe to do the causing, See?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.