Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 6 years ago

NATIVE AMERICAN BOARDING SCHOOL INFO NEEDED REALLY REALLY REALLY VERY BAD OVERHERE?

if there was any its EXTREMLY difficult for me to find any information about the **** because the ****** white pices of **** who ran it and allowed it to happen don't want that info everywhere but I know its out there and am hoping someone would help me it would be greatly appreciated I know there probably aint going to much if any in south because of the indian removing acts but is there any buildings still up or any locations of where there were once was a native American residential school PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me if you know it would be greatly appreciated I want to go visit the land it was on or go to a building that once was one of these schools any information about anything related about native American residential schools in the south would be greatly appreciated I need this information PLEASE help me I need to go to one for my own purposes you got any names or locations of these places

Best Answer

I am Native American from the Four Corners Region and trace my reservation roots to one in the area. I am registered as "4/4" and speak my tribal language. I know Navajos, Apaches, Hopis, Zunis, Pueblos, Yavapais, Hualapais, and Utes very well. I am well aware of the history of boarding schools. I have relatives who went to Phoenix Indian HS, Intermountain HS, Santa Fe Indian School, Sherman. I attended graduations at Sherman and PI back in the 70s. I have a distant ancestor who played football with Jim Thorpe at Carlisle when Pop Warner coached there.

I am familiar with Native American history of the southeastern USA. After graduating from Arizona State as an engineer I moved to Colorado for a few years. The job market died in 2002 in Denver, so I moved to Florida. I have worked here for over 10 years. I visited Geronimo's POW camp in Pensacola, FL. I have hiked the portion of the Appalachian Trail that had been the Cherokee Capital until the 1830s: Mt. Enotah. I have seen the view from the top of that mountain and know the panorama it gives of the southern states: TN, SC, NC, GA, AL. I also lived near the Seminole Reservation in South FL for a year while working as a biomedical engineer in Fort Lauderdale.

Many of the tribes were relocated to Indian Territory, but remnants managed to hide out or avoid capture. The Seminoles of the Everglades never surrendered. They actually form a mixture of "runaway" tribes comprised primarily of Creek Indians who had originally lived in Alabama. I meet a lot of people who are part Creek from Alabama or the FL Panhandle.

The primary facility for forced relocation of Native Americans in the southeastern USA was at St. Augustine south of Jacksonville, FL. The facility was used during the Seminole Wars to house prisoners. An Army Officer of the Plains Indian Wars (Pratt) also relocated prisoners there to "re-educate" the Indians into the European colonial way-of-life (so-to-speak) and become mainstream citizens. In reality their culture was systematically destroyed - cultural genocide. Geronimo's Apache family was imprisoned there in 1886.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castillo_de_San_Marco...

http://www.pbs.org/indiancountry/history/boarding....

There still are tribes in the area who can give more details. The Lumbees and Cherokees of North Carolina are alive-and-well. They have many historians. The Seminoles of Florida are also pure survivors of that era of Manifest Destiny and have many historians who can give details. The Seminoles never surrendered. They still live in the Everglades, and many have found success in colleges of modern times and subsequent careers. Many modern white Floridians revere the survival story of the Seminoles. Hence, FSU uses them as a symbol with the tribe's permission. I met my white girlfriend at FSU - a blonde southerner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awuuzRUs4xQ

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): It goes back further - the Spaniards sent Apache slaves to Cuba around the 1700s to early 1800s. Spain had trouble with Navajo and Apache captives who often easily escaped based on their ability to live off the land. So they dealt with that by sending some to Cuba. It's a little known fact.

There aren't going to be any in the south, because the Indians were removed from there in the 1830's. Please specify WHERE in the south you are looking for one.

And why is it so important for you to find one?

in any case, here's the list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Indian_board...

Source(s): Navajo

can't you contact any reservation chief? yes they still have them, and find a historian?