Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Kipling portrays the “white man’s burden as a difficult and thankless undertaking, yet urges that it be taken?

Update:

i really don't understand so please help me.Kipling portrays the “white man’s burden as a difficult and thankless undertaking, yet urges that it be taken up anyway. How does the last verse of the poem reveal why he thinks it should be taken up in spite of all the difficulties associated with it?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Mabe
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I think he was speaking for himself, and his own personal feelings about having to take responsibility for those things that he wasn't directly responsible for in causing to happen, but since all things we are attached to, in the nature of things, can have a direct effect on us, all in life, then we must see to it's need, regardless of all that it took for that being an issue. Or, in some way, we would all suffer the consequences from, equally or if it's a good thing, then we all reap the benefit's of it, in some way. (to make mention of skin color, I think, was just by what he was referring to himself about, in making him a part of it too). Speaking, that we cannot be indifferent to it based upon anyone's skin color, including his own.

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

He is actually saying that white men are imperialist ar$eholes if you care to read the poem in full.

There is debate as to whether Kipling intended to praise or denigrate imperialism If it's the former then he's a massive suckup. If it's the latter then one has to admire his subtlety.

Either way, he does not paint a flattering portrait of imperialists and his exhortation to take up the burden may either be an urging to do it even though you will be reviled, or it may be a reminder that if you accept the charge of your forebears you deserve to be reviled.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

I don't see your question anywhere. So what if he said that?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.