University of Michigan LSA or James Madison College at Michigan State with Honors?

I am having such a difficult time deciding which school to attend. If I choose the U of M route, I will work incredibly hard to be accepted into the Ross School of Business. If I am not granted acceptance there, I would most likely apply to the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy. My only concern is the fact that my GPA will most likely suffer if I choose to attend U of M, despite how hard I will work due to the bell curve, which will deter my application into respectable law schools (I am interested to become a corporate attorney). I just don't want to be stuck in LSA for all four years.

If I choose the MSU route at James Madison College with the Honors College program, I will have relatively small class sizes, flexible scheduling, and advisers to help me achieve my goals at the university. Meaning, I won't just be a number. Statistically speaking, most of their students who desire to attend top law schools, receive acceptance to their top choice. I just don't know if this option is where I want to be.

Best Answer

If you think that top law schools don't take into account the rigor of your undergraduate degree/university, you are very mistaken. This may have been true 15+ years ago when admission for most schools was done through admission tables, but this isn't practiced by nearly any school anymore (and definitely not in any top school). For example, even though MSU and U-M have approximately the same average graduating GPA, U-M graduates are more represented in the top 15 law and business schools by about a factor of 10 despite MSU's undergraduate body being nearly 40% larger than Michigan's. This would simply not be the case if grad admissions only looked at the bell curve of one school without putting it in context of the total population (which is what all top schools do nowadays).

James Madison is also a very nice program, don't get me wrong. I would just recommend that whatever you chose, the decision isn't because you're too concerned that Michigan would put you in an unfavorable position, because that's just not how it works anymore.

You sound like you want a sure thing, there is no such thing. You have to decide if you want to take a chance at a harder school and better education or an easier school with a worse education (see my sources to understand I have actual experience at both schools, I am not just pridefully suggesting one is harder than the other, and has a better education than the other, I know it to be so).

Talking about how your grades will likely suffer because of some other force like a bell curve is weak. You control what grades you want, you work as hard as you want, and you determine where you get in life. People who talk about natural disasters like bell curves lowering their grade in some sense separate themselves from the responsibility of getting the grades they do. I used to say things like that, it was weak.

Where do you want to be, Michigan or MSU, that is up to you. You decide what kind of risk you want to take. I recommend you take a chance and go to Michigan. It is not just a brand name as people generously hope it is. It is a great education, you will be a much more competent individual after you go through it all. It is not just about the degree and the rank, it is about who you are after. GPA from MSU is gauged differently than GPA from UofM as well. People realize it is a hard school, it is no secret.

Source(s): Freshmen year at MSU, then transferred to Michigan engineering at the start of my sophomore year. MSU is so easy.

James Madison College Msu

• Nicole

Did you know the University of Michigan did not allow a female student in because she was white? She sued and won the case against the university but the Surpream Court over turned the decision. The swing vote was from a female named Sandra D. Oconner. She said it was OK not to allow her in school based on the color of her skin. Wow have we come a long way! !!!!