Jim asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 6 years ago

Why do people say living in Japan is expensive if...?

Why do people say living in Japan is expensive if they have such low apartment prices and affordable public transportation?

Check this out: 1 room, living room, dining room, and kitchen, in Fukuoka, with an air conditioner included, around $200-300 American, without key money or deposits. How is this expensive? You can find huge apartments for $600 here!

http://suumo.jp/jj/chintai/ichiran/FR301FC001/?ar=...

What is it that's so expensive about Japan when people say "It's expensive there"?

Any comments would be appreciated!

Vinegar Taster, sounds like you've really been tasting lots of vinegar.. copy and paste man...

Favorite Answer

I think when most people talk about apartments, they are talking about Tokyo, not BFFukuoka (by which I mean, Fukuoka kind of out in the sticks).

Savvy foreigners who don't believe in superstition can find good bargains on apartments (even in Tokyo) where someone has been murdered, or a place with crappy lighting/futon drying capabilities, etc.).

That place in Fukuoka really sounds like it's too good to be true. Did you find more than one place like that? I would wonder what's wrong with it.

Tokyo isn't really that expensive compared to other world-class, capital cities. That is true. But, I'm sure you've also heard that New York or London or Paris are also expensive . . . .

A lot of teachers who work for boards of education out in the country can often get teachers' housing, subsidized, for much less than the Fukuoka bargain you quoted. But, that's not open to the average foreigner, and also, you pay back the money in transportation fees -- it may be a two-hour bus ride to the nearest movie theater, for example.

I would also like to point out that food, particularly food for the Western diet, is not cheap. Clothing is often quite expensive, as are decent shoes. And I don't know if I'd call transportation "cheap." It's good value for the money, but not really cheap. (Cheaper than a car, I will admit.)

Rent is high, and so is public transportation.

"huge " apartments for $600 ? Not a chance !

You posted a link no one can click on.

Yeah, something horrible must have happened there.