Why do people try to turn introverts into extroverts?

I have never been bullied in my LIFE, I have a happy, healthy family with no history of abuse, I get straight A's at school, and I do have friends. But, I am an extreme introvert. I like keeping to myself and not talking at all. I like observing people and how they interact, but never actually joining in. (Sort... show more I have never been bullied in my LIFE, I have a happy, healthy family with no history of abuse, I get straight A's at school, and I do have friends. But, I am an extreme introvert. I like keeping to myself and not talking at all. I like observing people and how they interact, but never actually joining in. (Sort of like looking at animals at a zoo) I get along perfectly with myself, and I love silence and aloneness. I often go to extreme measures to avoid human contact (if you put a stranger in my kitchen, I would probably starve to death before going in and introducing myself). My question is…what is wrong with being an introvert? (Unless, one wasn't originally an introvert and became one from bullying, etc. etc.) Where ever I go, people are always asking me why I don't talk, why I'm so shy, that I just need to be brave and start being social. I even see books and magazines and websites dedicated to transforming an introvert into an extrovert. I don't see anything wrong with being introverted, so why does everyone, including my own mother, try so damn hard to transform me? Are there perks to being extroverted? Am I missing something?
4 answers 4