e

Where exactly is "homophobia" listed in the DSM?

I've tried looking through all the editions of the DSM but I can't seem to find it. I'm also having some trouble finding the medical literature that says that disagreeing with something is enough to constitute a phobia. Can someone help me out? Also, if you happen to think people like myself are homophobes, please state what medical school you graduated from in your answer or in the source box. Thanks.

@Marc and Spencer you guys are aware that the site rules require you to attempt to answer the question if you respond, right?

I think it's interesting how while most of you are quick to call me a jerk and an asshole and ridicule my question, none of you have yet attempted to construct an argument as to why "homophobia" is an appropriate term for disagreeing with homosexuality.

@Red Baron and exactly what medical school did you graduate from and can you link me to some of your peer-reviewed essays on anxiety disorders?

@Mark and Spencer you may have noticed that I have reported your answers. And before you go telling everyone it was because you disagreed with me, keep in mind that yours are so far the only answers I have reported. Most of the other ones also disagree with me but I didn't report them because they at least attempted to answer the question, unlike you.

Hey Shawn, do you disagree with incest and necrophilia? Guess that must mean you want to bang your sister or mother or have sex with a dead body, right?

@Red Barron You still haven't said where you got your degree nor have you referred me to any of the studies you did to show that homophobia is part of an anxiety disorder.

@Red Barron all I'm asking for is some peer-reviewed studies that have been published that demonstrate that disagreeing with same-sex marriage etc. is a result of a phobia. I mean they must be out there considering how often people throw around the term "homophobia", right?

@Shawn

"We're addressing your obvious homophobia, not necrophilia and incest.."

Maybe so, but aren't those subjects related since they relate to marriage equality. Why are people who disagree with same-sex marriage called homophobes but people who disagree with marriage between siblings, adult children and parents, and people and dead bodies aren't constantly called "incestiphobes" and "necrophobes".

Your refusal to address this leads me to believe you do disagree with those things. Thanks for letting us all know you want to sleep with your mom, because that is the only reason you would disagree with them, right?

@Red Barron yeah I'm TOO SURE that the people they recruited for that study were actual people who were active opponents against the LGBT agenda, and not homosexual plants (sarcasm)

But even supposing for a minute that the study was true and conclusive, and even if being bisexual is the reason they disagree with it, last time I checked that's not the same thing as a phobia. But I don't know, you tell me.

But anyway, do you mean to tell me that the only study on this you can think of is one another user provided? You mean you haven't devoted years of research to it to arrive at your present opinion?

It's interesting how you expect people to pay you just to present evidence to defend your opinion. I mean I would think someone of your educational background would have carefully researched this before coming to an opinion already. But whatever. You and Shawn get one point for the study, though it is interesting how it's one you have to pay for. So I'm assuming you payed full price for the study and read the whole thing, Shawn?

But like I said, I still don't see how the fact that people who oppose same-sex marriage are more likely to be closet homosexuals, even if it is true, shows that they have a phobia. I mean, there are people who are openly homosexual who oppose it.

On more thing, it's interesting how the people who wrote the abstract had already decided that disagreeing with it is "homophobia" when I thought this was supposed to be deciding if it was a phobia or not. Yeah, that doesn't show bias at all.

@Shawn B ZOMFG you are such a gigo! Of course it can be love between two consenting adults. Ever heard of lasts wills and testaments? And you still haven't addressed incest.

Lol yeah because Wikipedia which anyone can edit is the most reliable source ever. I would think someone of your background would no better than to rely on Wikipedia for your facts. But then again you're the one who expects people to pay you just to present a logical argument on Y!A, so....

If you are indeed such an expert, then maybe you're right. Of course you still have yet to say where you got your degree from nor have you referred me to any of the books and journals documenting the years of research you have done on the topic.

But anyway, if you want me to pay you, why bother being on Y!A at all? I guess I better not ever see you answer any other questions on Y!A that have anything to do with topics like behavioral medicine without asking for compensation.

Lol I looked at the links you gave me and all of them are more than two decades old, only one of them is actually about something that is somewhat closely related to homophobia, and that one is also one you have to purchase, not to mention the fact that it is about middle school aged children rather than people who disagree with same-sex marriage in general.

You mean to tell me that you are unable to find even one study that directly flat out says that homophobia is a real disorder and that is younger than 20 years?

Favorite Answer

Well an example of a negative connation for a word is "homophobia." It is used by liberals when addressing people who do not agree with homosexual activity. The word literally means a fear of homosexuality. The word "fear/phobia" has a negative emotional effect and that is why it is used to describe those who oppose homosexuality. Let's look at some more.

Affair: An affair is when someone has sexual relations with someone other than the person to whom he or she is married. Therefore, it is used instead of the word "adultery" which has a strong negative connotation. When sexual morals are loosened, the terms that describe sexual behavior are too.

Diversity: The word "diversity" has a positive meaning and will be applied to the homosexual agenda in such a way that when someone opposes homosexuality, he is opposing diversity. It is good to want diversity among people as it relates to ethnicity, gender, age, etc. The positive connotation of this politically correct term is also used in support of diversity when it comes to "sexual orientation." They will sometimes say that homophobes are against diversity.

Gay: Liberals use the term "gay" which has a positive, happy connotation and combine it with "gay rights." Notice how the word "rights" is associated with another word that has a positive meaning. Of course, "gay" has come to mean "homosexual" since it has been taken over by the homosexual community. But also notice that in using the term, they are framing and thereby controlling the conversation and it puts the conservative on the defensive. Don't let this happen. Don't let them frame the conversation. Don't use their terms. Don't say "gay rights." Say "homosexual intrusion" or "special rights for homosexuals," etc.

Intolerance: This word is used whenever it is speaking of homosexuals who are persecuted in any way. Those opposed to homosexuality are intolerant. But, the term is rarely used of the intolerance that homosexuals have for traditional values and Christianity. The homosexual community shows intolerance for traditional values by labeling them as outdated, bigoted, etc. It often attacks the Christian church in similar ways. One group, Act Up, has actually gone in to church services and disrupted them in profane ways. Did the media call them intolerant? Not at all. That label is uniformly reserved for conservatives who hold to traditional values and disapprove of homosexuality.

Partner: Partner is more of a neutral connotation and is used in phrases like "domestic partnership." Notice that they rarely use terms like "husband" and "wife" because those terms carry the meaning of a traditional marriage bond consisting of a male and female. This is not what homosexuals want to present, so they don't use those terms. They again frame the argument and nullify traditional values by using different terms designed to be neutral when referring to themselves and their agenda.

Victim: This term has a strong emotional connotation and is used to describe themselves whenever homosexuals are persecuted in any way. It is never used in reverse when it is used of non-homosexuals who are persecuted by homosexuals. Matthew Shepherd, the homosexual who was brutally murdered in 1998 by two anti-homosexuals was paraded by homosexuals and the media as a victim of homophobic hatred. But, the term is absent when describing atrocities in reverse. Does anyone know of the murder of Jesse William Dirkhising, a teenager from Arkansas who was "bound, drugged, tortured, raped and died as a result of the drugs given him and the position in which he was tied down"? The perpetrators were "two men who were described as 'lovers' in a police affidavit." 1

The word game continues along with the slanted and overly selective presentation of truth that occurs by the homosexual community and the media. We must be aware that words are extremely powerful. I suggest that when dealing with homosexuals that you not use their terminology. Use correct terminology. Don't use terms like "partner"; instead, use husband and wife. Don't say "gay rights"; instead, say "homosexual agenda." Don't say "homophobia"; instead, say something like "pro-heterosexuality" or "traditional marriage values." Try to be patient and loving with them (Col. 4:5-6), but when they are being intolerant of Christianity, say so. When they insult the Lord, call them christophobic. Speak the truth. Jesus did.

Source(s): TR
    • To the asker of the question, I should apologize for my rude answer. I misread your post. I thought you had said "homosexuality" rather than "homophobia."

That is EXACTLY why I coined the word "heterocentric" twelve years ago.... but then I'm just an opinionated old gay nonbeliever who puts more value on truth and accuracy than rhetorical scoreboards.

As soon as I find an appropriate substitute word I'm declaring independence from all things that are atheist before Lady Gaga and a reality television latch onto it. What an ordeal... are we going to watch nedreck huckdunters carve wood in Louisiana or atheists debate Blaise Pascal's love affair with a mirror while he wagered?... decisions decisions.... decisions.... i'm going for the weather channel.

Homophobia would fall under a specific phobia, which is an anxiety disorder. Much like claustrophobia or hydrophobia.

Rusty Shakelford is correct though. A better term would be @$$hole, as I'm sure gays don't cause a panic attack in said persons.

Edit: what do you want me to link about anxiety disorders? Prevalence? Treatment? And truthfully, I didn't go to med school (that's psychiatrists). However, I am still a lisenced doctor with extensive training in clinical psychology. And no, homosexuality is not pathological.

Edit 2: I never said it was an anxiety disorder. It's a misnomer. Bigot and @$$hole are more apropos

Edit 3: read Shawn B's linked abstract

Edit 4: pay me my $120/hour fee and ill provide all the articles you want, with complete explanations of findings. It's rather paranoid to think the researchers would essentially fabricate the data, especially since the journal referenced has extensive peer review

Edit 5: read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_formation

Then, when you understand the concept, think about where the term "homophobia" comes from...

And why not pay me? If you want an expert to provide a literature review, expect to pay. Otherwise my extensive training is and should be evidence enough

Edit 6: *sigh*

Vaillant, G. E., Bond, M., & Vaillant, C. O. (1986). An empirically validated hierarchy of defense mechanisms. Archives of General Psychiatry, 73, 786-794.

Pollock, C., & Andrews, G. (1989). Defense styles associated with specific anxiety disorders. American Journal of Psychiatry, 146, 1500-1502.

Lobel, T. E., & Winch, G. L. (1986). Different defense mechanisms among men with different sex role orientations. Sex Roles, 15, 215-220.

Cramer, P., Blatt, S. J., & Ford, R. Q. (1988). Defense mechanisms in the anaclitic and introjective personality configurations. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 56, 610-616.

Edit 7: what's that I hear? Crickets?

Edit 8: just because they are older doesn't mean they are somehow invalid. First you have to understand the concepts of "neurotic anxiety," "defense mechanisms," "reaction formation," and "internalized homophobia." Then we can talk.

Oh, and "ego-dystonic" and "ego-syntonic"

Source(s): I'm a psychologist

APA Abstract:

Is homophobia associated with homosexual arousal?

Adams, Henry E.; Wright, Lester W.; Lohr, Bethany A.

Journal of Abnormal Psychology, Vol 105(3), Aug 1996, 440-445. doi: 10.1037/0021-843X.105.3.440

Abstract

The authors investigated the role of homosexual arousal in exclusively heterosexual men who admitted negative affect toward homosexual individuals. Participants consisted of a group of homophobic men (n = 35 ) and a group of nonhomophobic men (n = 29); they were assigned to groups on the basis of their scores on the Index of Homophobia (W. W. Hudson & W. A. Ricketts, 1980). The men were exposed to sexually explicit erotic stimuli consisting of heterosexual, male homosexual, and lesbian videotapes, and changes in penile circumference were monitored. They also completed an Aggression Questionnaire (A. H. Buss & M. Perry, 1992). Both groups exhibited increases in penile circumference to the heterosexual and female homosexual videos. Only the homophobic men showed an increase in penile erection to male homosexual stimuli. The groups did not differ in aggression. Homophobia is apparently associated with homosexual arousal that the homophobic individual is either unaware of or denies. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights reserved)

So it seems homophobia is associated with homosexual arousal. Why else would you disagree with it?

Source(s): http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/abn/105/3/440/ We're addressing your obvious homophobia, not necrophilia and incest.. When you have reached the asshole stage as you have, I suspect a phobia. Your attempt to defend and rationalize your condition gives you away. Necrophilia is not an act of love between two consenting adults.
  • pmaxu

If I recall correctly, the DSM breaks down phobias into categories, not specific fears. So, while you might find examples, you're not going to find specific phobias.

Saying that someone is homophobic is simply the polite way to call one a bigot.

Source(s): The PC world we inhabit.

I don't believe the military is homophobic anymore. There may be homophobic people, but they're rules regarding gays are much more free.

I wonder if there's a phobia for asking questions in the right category.

>I've tried looking through all the editions of the DSM but I can't seem to find it.

You're the only person who seems to think it should be in there.

The rest is a childish rant and unworthy of my attention.

Doesn't exist... It's just a term that was invented out of political correctness in the attempt to find a reason to place hatred on Christians for faithfully believing their God.