Does braiding your hair when wet damage it?

My mom hates when I do my wavy hair, but I absolutely hate straightening it because it gets so dry and gross and I want it to grow. I just got 3 inches cut off a few weeks ago, but because of my mom I've been straightening it. I'm 15, and my hair is just about an inch or 2 under my collarbone, but because of the straightening I can already feel it getting dry again. I've found that braiding works for me to get my hair wavy, but apparently that damages it as well, there's no way I can win here. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get my hair longer? Either straightening it, or getting nice waves that don't break my hair. I use heat protectant, and after a few days my hair just naturally stays straight. Right now, I'm washing my hair every other day. My hair is really thick, but it's getting thinner as it dries out more and more. If anyone has any tips please help me!

Best Answer

Your hair is envy from us stick straight haired girls! If you know how to care for your hair type, you won't have this problem. Melina Kanakaredes, Keri Russell in Felicity are examples who has hair like yours and they've got beautiful wavy hair. Watch Deandre Brackensick on American Idol. Google them. Very good example with very long & very tightly curls: watch Derek Hough dances with Brilynn Rakes, 17. Brilynn was chosen to dance on “DWTS” when producers saw incredible videos of the blind girl’s skills. Her hair was styled many ways w/out the use of heat! Better yet, watch Pretty Woman - Julia Roberts's hair in that movie! Demi Moore's hair in her older movies showed her curly sexy hair styles. In the 90's, they didn't have many hair products or heating tools and they also styled their hair many ways!

Shampoo. Condition. Add a small dollop (size of a quarter) of gel to keep hair from frizzing. Give it a final rinse with carbonated or sparkling water. Sparkling water reduces frizz because of its low pH level. This is a good treatment if you often let your curls air-dry because it will help to eliminate the frizz caused by humidity. Towel dry, scrunch with gel like Samy, or hand lotion, blow-dry using a diffuser briefly, tousle the hair, finger comb, shake your head & you're good to go. If you don't have a diffuser, use a blow heat dryer on low for 5 mins. Upside down blow drying. Bend at your waist, turn your head down and blow dry. Straighten up to a voluminous, super full mane! If your hair needs longer than 5 mins to dry your hair, air dry SOME, get dressed, have breakfast, do your homework, get online etc. while air dryer, then blow dry briefly concentrating @ the roots. Shake your hair and you're good to go! For more tighter curls, set them briefly, blow dry, let them cool, take the curlers out, & finger comb. The result of this method: Elizabeth & Val dance the Jive on Dancing with the Stars, Halloween 2013.

When you wake up, instead of shampooing again, keep a bottled water filled with water/conditioner and spray on your hair. Scrunch, finger comb and you're good to go! Google Haley Rinehart - American Idol she's got long beautiful curly hair!

When my hair was permed in the 80's, my waist-length hair looked like hers. Look @ my hair now.

Wear a scarf on windy days to avoid frizz. Tuck them inside your hat, style them by wetting your fingers when you get inside, finger comb!

One method to make it look fuller, add body, tame the curls, bouncier, thicker, SEXIER, softer & shinier hair is to set your hair with plastic curlers (not Velcro) after you towel dry, you'll end up with uniform balance of curls. Blow dry briefly while curling them in curlers. Take them out, and finger comb to style. When you're finished, use your fingers to shake your hair allowing it to fall naturally into place. Used by the best hair color models, and the fashion industry, like Victoria Secret Fashion Show Dec. 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012, America's Next Top Models, EXPRESS, Toddlers & Tiaras, Dance Moms, Dancing with the Stars, Kris Jenner, Kim Kardashian, even used on Oprah's hair . . . . and continued to be used today where salons care about pampering your hair. When you see hair on TV a hair color commercial, they're not done by curling or straightening tools. Hair that shines like that and feels like hair, not hay, has to be done by the best hair tools available w/out damaging to the hair. When you take the curlers out, finger comb to style or lightly brush. Tousle the hair up. or shake your hair. You can use large, medium or small curlers, that depends on the length of your hair. Think of JLo's hair, she was voted as the Sexiest Woman by People magazine and Glamour's Woman of the Year 2011.

For more on straightening hair, read what others have said about their hair, their OWN WORDS not mine: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AiBDu...

And the latest: http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=201...

It takes 20 years of bad hair days, for women to figure out what to do with their hair, and it takes 20 years of trying to fix it, using various hair products that can do more harm than good. It is part of a billion dollar business.

Google: Imogen Thomas wears rollers in her hair to take out the trash.

you see, most of the time when I have to rush out of the house or go to school, I just put my hair in a wet braid, then take it out about half way through the day. but after hair cuts and treatments, I have concluded that if you just let your hair dry naturally and then brush it out, it will hold shine and nutrients from the shampoo or conditioner. I also would recommend a different shampoo/conditioner. I use mane and tail shampoo/conditioner. Surprisingly, it is for horses, but may also be used by humans. It increases the length of your hair and make it healthy. I will link the shampoo and cond. below. Good luck!!!! <3

I've heard of that happening if you braid your hair wet too often. I think it's because as your hair dries, it expands... When it's braided, it has no room to expand, causing damage. I don't think it can be too bad if it's not a constant thing where you braid it for an extended period of time. If it does get damaged, just use a deep conditioner!

Hope I helped :)

Source(s): Mom's a professional hair stylist I'm following her foot steps ;)

Honestly, what doesn&#x27;t damage hair? Going swimming damages hair, having hair pulled back too tight damages hair, even the sun damages your hair. Braiding your hair is probably the best thing to do to grow your hair out. If you want long hair then defiantly don&#x27;t straighten it. Last summer my hair was cut about and inch and half past my collar bone and for the whole summer I braided my hair and never used my straightener. Now my hair is past my boob. Braid your hair! It&#x27;s pretty and it&#x27;s way healthier than straightening your hair. If it bothers your mom then loosely braid it. It won&#x27;t be as bad

I think that it can at some point, because the hair is looser when wet and can fall out more easily

copy and paste the following in the source below you should get a lot of results

best way to braid you hair to avoid damage

best ways to braid your hair to prevent damage