M asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 7 years ago

Is it legal for a 14 year old girl to date a soon to be 17 year old guy in Oklahoma?

I'm 14 years old turning 15 in November 2014,

My boyfriend is 16 turning 17 in June 2014.

Each of our sets of parents approve of us being together.

We don't plan on engaging in any sexual acts.

So far we've been together 4 going on 5 months.

We live in Oklahoma and I've gone to several sites trying to find out what we can do exactly but all they do is confuse me more because they all have different variations of the answer so I'm just really confused. However; I want to make sure its all legal because I don't to end up getting him in trouble, just for dating me.

Favorite Answer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_No...

As far as Oklahoma is concerned, you aren't violating the law even if you do have sex. While the age of consent is 16, a close-in-age provision means someone who is 18 or younger won't be in trouble for having sex with someone who is at least 14.

That doesn't make it a good thing for you to be doing, because the usual result of having sex is getting pregnant. The usual result of dating someone for long enough is having sex. This may not be against the law, but it doesn't make it good for you as young as your are still.

There is really much more of a difference between kids who are more than a year apart at your age. It may feel wonderful to be going out with this guy, but he's a bit too old for you. If I were your mom, I wouldn't be pleased, because he knows things you aren't really ready for, and once you start having sex too early, you don't feel the same way about yourself.

Honestly- this isn't good for you. Keep talking to your mom, and if you need to, go get some birth control. And don't ever let him tell you that you don't love him if you don't do anything he really really would like you to do. That's baloney. And honestly- he's a bit too old for you yet.

There are no laws regarding dating. Parents have the right to decide who their child can and cannot spend time with, but as long as both sets of parents are okay with it, you're fine to *date*. Note: dating does not mean sexual contact (of any kind) - there are laws against that.

• .

You can date. But Age of consent is 18 - when you can legally have sex - meaning you both could possibly get in trouble, especially if one kid's parents decide the other is a moron. Then they could try to cause issues.

why not, but you'd be better off with a dirty old man!!!

• sammi

no