A question about law school, responses appreciated ASAP, Thank you in advance?

This is for anyone who has attended law school or is now in law school, or someone very familiar with these matters. I live in NYC and I got into St. Johns and Brooklyn Law School, from whom I received substantial scholarship offers. The difference I would have to make up through loans is relatively miniscule.I also got into Cardozo and they offered me $20k which means that I would have to take out a much greater amount in loans. (I would commute to all three so minus room/board)

However, considering the gap between the schools in terms of rankings, the competitive job market in NYC, and the fact that I will work my a$% to be in the higher % of class ranking would it pay off to go to the better school despite the higher cost? Or does the ranking not really matter as long as you have a solid GPA, in which case I'd prefer to save the money?

Favorite Answer

The prestige of your law school matters a lot, unfortunately.

The good part, for you, is that all three of those schools are so far down the ladder that it's not going to make much of a difference - you're not going to BigLaw no matter what you do.

What do you want to do? If you're going to open a solo practice and handle wills or low-cost divorces, the school generally doesn't matter. If you want to get a job (i.e. not work for yourself) you'll want the school with the best job placement record.

As a side note, stay away from Brooklyn. That place is a joke (they've even been sued by their own graduates) and it'll be a detriment on your resume.

Better school will get you a better job, as long as you end up passing the bar.

*Especially* on the East Coast and ESPECIALLY in law, where you went to law school is a HUGE deal, if you want prestigious jobs.

• GMan

only thing that matters is passing the bar exam.