Can TPS students apply for dream act?

I am from El Salvador, I came into the USA in March of the year 2000 with a Visa, later my family applied for TPS (temporary protective status) and we were able to stay. I have my workers permit and social security card. But I am not a US Resident and I am not a US Citizen. I am currently a high school student in Portland Oregon. With a TPS you can not apply to be a resident. And with a TPS there is no Financial Aid, I want to go to a university but I can't get federal funds for education. With the dream act, I would be eligible for financial aid, and possible residency.

I meet all the requirements of the Dream act, but I don't know if I can apply.

My question is:

Can I, a TPS holder apply for the Dream Act and get financial Aid?

Favorite Answer

I suppose, but it wouldn't give you anything you don't already have under TPS.

• pk

You need to look at the financial aid requirements of the school you want to attend.

You won't be able to get federal funds for college, but there may be state aid and scholarships available to you. Start looking now.

As for TPS vs. DACA, for you it's one and the same. Form I-821. Form I-821D for the DACA kids.

Believe it or not, you are better off staying with TPS.

The reason why I say that is because if you look at the trends, TPS almost always gets renewed every year or two. It has been that way for years and years and likely to continue. The DACA program was the President dipping his foot in the waters to test his immigration reform ideas out on the public and on the economy.

He won't be President for much longer. Yet both sides of the aisle, Democrat and Republican consistently renew TPS for the eligible countries. Only a couple of African countries have lost theirs.

For you, El Salvador and Honduras, you stand a very good chance of getting your TPS renewed because of the political ties the US has to the two countries.

So start looking for alternative college funding now.

Even if the reform you seek never comes to fruition, if you can still get a good education to take with you in life, you'll never regret it.

There is NO Dream Act! It did not pass. You have TPS, and are not eligible for DACA. Those with DACA are currently scheduled for deportation once their 2-year permit expires. DACA does not change their status. They remain illegal aliens, and are not eligible for any visa, residency, etc.

You can always return to your country of citizenship and go to school there.

• Jan

There is no DREAM act.

You can attend school, but you are not eligible for financial aid. You are here on a temporary basis. If your country gets removed from TPS status, you have to go home.

Since there is no DREAM Act, neither you nor any other person can apply for it.

However, if you meant to say DACA but failed to do so, the answer is no. DACA prevents DREAMERs from being deported for an initial 2 years, yet with TPS you are already protected from deportation.

Source(s): Attorney at Law

THERE IS NO FEDERAL DREAN ACT

The T TPS in stand for temporary ..you could be going home anytime ...many have gone back already

• Maxi

No you can't apply NO ONE CAN as it doesn't exist, it is American legislative proposal first introduced in the Senate on August 1, 2001 and NOT PASSED, so doesn't exist................

What Dream act! no such thing exists you cant apply for something that does not exit.