Old time country singers and songs?

My dad used to play old country music growing up. I remember loving those songs and I'd really like to listen to that genre again. I can think of several singers like Conway Twitty, Patsy Cline, Tammy Wynette, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Kenny Rogers and many, many others that covered quite a span of time. I've listened to some 80's and 90's and plenty of modern country but I want to get back to that older stuff. Could anyone give me a list of some of the older legends of country music and some of their songs? Thanks!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi, Here is a list of older artists/songs below. It's not a complete list by no means, but will get you started. You can find most of these songs on YouTube. See link for more artists.

See my answer here for huge list of older artists: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Al4bB...

1. Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John, The Cajun Queen, Little Black Book, Sam Hill, P.T. 109

2. Roy Acuff - Wabash Cannonball, The Great Speckled Bird, Tennessee Waltz

3. Flatt & Scruggs - The Story Of Bonnie & Clyde, The Ballad Of Jed Clampett, Petticoat Junction, Foggy Mountain Breakdown

4. Bascom Lamar Lunsford - Dry Bones, Mr. Garfield, Mountain Dew, I Wish I Was A Mole In The Ground, Step Stones, Swannanoa Tunnel, Get Along Home Cindy (Older than Carters & Jimmie Rodgers 1882-1973)

5. Jimmie Rodgers - Pistol Packin' Papa, Blue Yodel No. 1 (T For Texas), My Rough And Rowdy Ways, The Soldier’s Sweetheart, Waiting For A Train

6. Hank Williams Sr. - Pan American, Honky Tonkin', Howlin' At The Moon, Singing Waterfall, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, I Saw The Light, Long Gone Lonesome Blues, Dixie Cannonball, Lonesome Whistle

7. Kitty Wells - It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels, Making Believe, If Teardrops Were Pennies, Heartbreak USA, I Heard The Jukebox Playing

8. Ernest Tubb - Walking The Floor Over You, Thanks A Lot, Mean Mama Blues, Drivin' Nails In My Coffin

9. Stringbean - There'll Be Moonshine In The Old Kentucky Hills, "Run, Little Rabbit, Run", Fishin' Song, Chewing Chewing Gum, It's Mighty Dark To Travel

10. Claude King - Wolverton Mountain, He Ain't Country, "Big River, Big Man", Burning Of Atlanta

11. Faron Young - Hello Walls, Riverboat, "Live Fast, Love Hard, Die Young"

12. Grandpa Jones - Old Rattler, Old Dan Tucker, Hobo Bill, Eight More Miles To Louisville, Good Old Mountain Dew

13. Ferlin Husky - Wings Of A Dove, A Dear John Letter

14. Jeannie C. Riley - Harper Valley P.T.A, The Back Side Of Dallas, Return To Harper Valley, Country Girl, Here's To The Cowboys

15. Reba McEntire - Fancy, The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia (Fancy = cover version)

Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billy Joe, Fancy, Louisiana Man (Bobbie Gentry wrote & sang Fancy)

16. Emmylou Harris - Two More Bottles Of Wine

17. Lacy J Dalton - 16th Avenue

18. Tammy Wynette - Stand By Your Man, Apartment No. 9, Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad

19. Moe Bandy & Joe Stampley - Just Good Ol' Boys

20. Moe Bandy - Till I'm Too Old To Die Young, Hank Williams You Wrote My Life

21. Roger Miller - King Of The Road, Chug-A-Lug, Dang Me

22. Jerry Reed - East Bound And Down, The Legend, Amos Moses, When You're Hot you're Hot, Alabama Wild Man, The Ballad Of Gator McKlusky

23. Buck Owens - I've Got a Tiger by the Tail, Act Naturally

24. Del Reeves - Girl On The Billboard

25. Waylon Jennings - The Eagle, Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way, Luckenbach Texas, Outlaw Sh-t, Bob Wills Is Still The King, I've Always Been Crazy, Amanda

26. Johnny Horton - Battle Of New Orleans, Sink The Bismarck, Golden Rocket, North To Alaska, Sinking Of The Reuben James, Battle Of Bull Run, Joe's Been A-Gittin' There

27. Di-k Curless - Pinch Of Powder, Tombstone Every Mile, Watermelon Man

28. Dave Dudley - Six Days On The Road, Truck Driving Son Of A Gun

29. Lonnie Irving - Pinball Machine

30. CW McCall - Convoy, Round The World With The Rubber Duck, CB Savage, Wolf Creek Pass

31. Red Sovine - Phantom 309, Teddy Bear, Little Joe

32. Marty Robbins - El Paso, Big Iron, Feleena, Devil Woman

33. John Prine - Paradise

34. George Jones - Choices, Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes, The One I Loved Back Then (AKA: Corvette Song), The Race Is On, White Lightning

35. Mel Mcdaniel - Louisiana Saturday Night, Baby's Got Her Blue Jeans On

36. Vern Gosdin - Set'em Up Joe

37. Johnny Paycheck - The Johnson's Of Turkey Ridge, The Outlaw's Prayer, Take This Job And Shove It, Only Hell My Mama Ever Raised, Drunk On Arrival (D.O.A)

38. Woody Guthrie - Pastures Of Plenty, Grand Coulee Dam, Do-Re-Me, Sowing On The Mountain, Crawdad Song, Hard Travelin', Vigilante Man, Dust Bowl Blues, Jackhammer Blues

39. Bob Wills - Sittin' On Top Of The World, San Antonio Rose, Faded Love, Across The Alley From The Alamo, Take Me Back To Tulsa

40. Hank Snow - I've Been Everywhere, I'm Movin' On, Miller's Cave

I hope your enjoy these songs. Good luck!

• allie
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

Cowboy Copas - Cowboy Deck of Cards

Tanya Tucker - Delta Dawn, Two Sparrows In a Hurricane

Eddy Arnold - Cattle Call

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.