Make a server from old hardware vs buying brand-new hardware?

Hello! I want to create a new server for home use, however I don't know if I should buy 2nd hand/surplus parts or brand new ones. Here are my questions:

- Should I go with an old Pentium IV (which I can get for like 10-20 bucks), a second-hand intel i3 (40-50 bucks) or a brand new intel i3 (over 100 bucks)?

- As for the motherboard, should I use an old one (for the pentium) or a second-hand/new one for the i3? What should I expect from one versus the other?

- Can I use a normal (as in my old) PC case? It has space for at least 3 3.5' SATA HDD and a 250W power supply

- Should I worry about getting low-consumption hardware (as in intel i3 2100T) or, at the low usage of the server, it isn't noticeable/doesn't matter?

I plan on using the server for a few things (which, if I would need more than one server to do, I would gladly thank you if you pointed that out):

- NAS Backup and media storage

- Remote-accessable virtual machine (I would like to be able to have it running windows server and a windows 7/XP and/or debian virtual machine to tinker with)

- DNS/SQL/DHCP/Print server

- Firewall (does it make a big difference at home? In my college they set up a server just for dedicated firewall, and it makes a lot of difference due to the huge security needs they have)

- Web site hosting (nothing fancy, mostly HTML/Flash/javascript)

- Cloud or FTP file storage (since I'm away from home the entire week, and it would be nice to get some media in case I might want to see it/have an alternative to dropbox/GDrive)

- Torrenting

Also, it would be used as a testing rig, since I'm learning Windows Server 2008 and will learn UNIX-based server architectures. Oh, and if I set it up as a NAS storage server, can I access it from the internet using VPN?

I think this pretty much covers it up

Regards!

My partner and i recommend making use of http://www.vpnmaster.org/ to unblock websites. I am using their services for more than 2 years without problems.

My partner and i highly recommend making use of VPNPower to be able to unblock sites. I've been using them since 4 years. http://www.vpnpower.net/

Definitely, a brand new server is your choice since you use for server purpose and there're some crucial service to work with.

You should use the new disk and other hardware are not necessarily.