Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 7 years ago

I want to create a map game?

I am interested in programming and have almost little experience. I want to make a game that you click on a country and you have to type the capital and another to click on the country and you have to type the name.

I am in eighth grade and this is to help me and possibly my friend in our world geo class.

I have found other games like this but i need one where you do not get a word bank. I have yet to find one without one.

My cousin's husband(who i know well) is very good at programming. I want to know if i can do it without his help.

I have this computer i do not know if it will help:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/11-6-touch-screen-lapt...

I know this is not the best laptop but this is all that i have available.

Also if there is any money involved please give me the prices.

I AM NEW TO THIS STUFF

Favorite Answer

I think you meant 'at most' little experience, not 'almost.' If yes, then this would be a pretty difficult program for a first try, but definitely not impossible.

I don't know what you mean by word bank, but that probably doesn't matter. I think it might mean vocabulary but I don't know how you mean it in reference to programming or the project idea. There're lists of countries and capitals and such that you can find at Wikipedia.

You can also do variations such as the program giving a capital and the user needs to click on the country. You can take it further to reference other cities, mountain ranges, rivers, but yes start with the simplest country/capital idea first.

The -PC- has nothing to do with anything. Any PC can write a program. Well, meaning that this program is small enough that you don't need any big/monsterish PC.

I suggest you ask you cousin's husband for -advice- about how to -proceed- through the process. There's definition, design, code, test, lather, rinse, repeat till polished.

The more accurate and -complete- the -definition- is, the more easily everything else follows. Definition includes an outline of the code and test portions, so it 'leads' you onward.

The more 'small pieces' you can break the 'big picture' into, the easier it is to deal with each little piece.

Ask for guidance and you can probably do it. Actually you'll probably learn more about programming than geography in the process, but yes the geography is a side benefit too.

It doesn't really matter how powerful your machine is. You only need a powerful machine if you're testing high-end software that actually requires that power. Programming, in itself, requires very little power from the hardware.

The project you're suggesting is not terribly hard (I know everything necessary in order to do it, say, in Javascript), but it's nontrivial. If you are just starting to learn programming, this would not be your first project, or probably even your tenth project. Everyone learns programming from the bottom up. There is no shortcut. Don't get your head in the clouds; it's less frustrating if you can just focus on what you can achieve on a day-to-day basis.