Are there any paints safe to use on surfaces food will contact?

I was given a bunch of old, silver-plate stuff that's in terrible condition (all the silver-plate is worn off). I don't want to pay to replete it, and I'm never going to use it how it is now. I would like to paint it, but I don't know what kind of paint would be safe for, say a candy dish or bread... show more I was given a bunch of old, silver-plate stuff that's in terrible condition (all the silver-plate is worn off). I don't want to pay to replete it, and I'm never going to use it how it is now. I would like to paint it, but I don't know what kind of paint would be safe for, say a candy dish or bread basket. Or is there some kind of clear coat that can go on top of regular paint? It needs to work on metal and while I wouldn't use this stuff on a daily basis, it needs to be washable (like gently hand-washed in the sink).... Any ideas? Brands of paint?
1 answer 1