What means patent pending?

My sigma brush has saying its patent pending? I searched for it but i cant understand , is it means that its fake? Thanks in advance

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Patent pending" is a vague warning to their competitors that the inventor has filed a patent application, of some sort, in one or more countries.

There are several reasons for putting it there.

(1) it serves as notice/warning to competitors that they would be putting their fortunes "at risk" if they copy the invention, assuming the invention could be covered by a patent some day;

(2) it invites someone to contact the manufacturers for licensing information about whatever "patents" might be pending; and

(3) some people think it's "cool" to claim they have a "patent pending", right on the package and product, when all they did was file a $65 fee and some garbage "specification" in their patent office.

The words, by themselves, generally have no legal effect.

Add: It could also mean that someone has manufactured a fake, and just tossed in a fraudulent "patent pending" mark to add to their violations by making it look "more official."

• David
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

It means the brush company has applied for a patent with the US patent agency and its approval is pending.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

It means they have applied for a patent on some facet of the manufacturing process, but have not yet been awarded that patent.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.