promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

should i get pap smear before 21 years old?

i am currently 19 years old, i had my HPV vaccine when i was 14/15, i am still a virgin, but i had oral sex with my bf a couple months ago and i had this clear sometimes milky vaginal discharge even though i washed it with vaginal wash? do you think i should get pap smear? i had my pelvic and abdominal ultrasound and its normal. what is the canes i get cervical cancer? i am very worried

thank you

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Some doctors will do a Pap test for women under the age of 21. A Pap test alone is not an HPV test. HPV testing is approved for screening the cervix only. HPV co-testing with a Pap has been approved for women 30 and older. A Pap test only collects cells of the cervix. A Pap test alone is not an HPV test. A Pap test is not an overall HPV test. At this time there is no approved HPV test for the oral area. A dentist is your first line of defense in preventing oral cancers. HPV is not included in any STI test. A doctor can look at the genital area for signs of genital warts but this is not an HPV test, some doctors use vinegar to see if this makes small genital warts more visible, but this is not an HPV test. Most men and women with the virus do not show any signs. Most men and women have the virus and do not know it. The virus is very common. Most HPV infection regress in time.

A pelvic exam and abdominal ultra sounds are not a screening tool for cervical cancer.

You need to check with your doctor about this discharge. You could have some type of bacterial infection. This milky discharge would have nothing to do with giving your bf oral sex. Giving oral sex exposes your oral area to infections of the oral area.

They are two approved vaccines the most common HPV vaccine in the US is Gardasil. Gardasil prevents 4 genital HPV types 6, 11, 16 and 18. Gardasil does not prevent all genital HPV types. They are 40 genital HPV types. At this time gardasil has been approved in the prevention of vaginal, vulva, anal, and cervical cancers due to HPV types 16 and 18, other HPV types can cause these cancer however these are the most common HPV types found in these cancers. At this time Gardasil has not been approved in preventing oral cancer. Much research in underway to see if it also prevents oral cancers due to HPV types 16 and 18, at this time the FDA has not included oral cancers because none of the research has been completed. Early study results do seem promising.

Is there a test for HPV?

HPV tests are available to help screen women aged 30 years and older for cervical cancer. These HPV tests are not recommended to screen men, adolescents, or women under the age of 30 years. There is no general HPV test for men or women to check one's overall "HPV status." Also, there is not an approved HPV test to find HPV in the mouth or throat.

How can HPV be prevented?

http://www.cdc.gov/STD/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm

http://women.webmd.com/pelvic-ultrasound

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.