is my car just steaming or smoking?

I have a 1994 oldsmobile and I just shut it off to go to class. It snowed yesterday so there is snow on top of the hood. When I put my windshield wipers on today some type of smoke or steam came from the back of the good in front of my windshield. when I got out of the car the good wasn't hot or anything so could this just be steam?

Favorite Answer

it could just be steam but I'd say its worth having someone look at your radiator because even if its steam, that's not necessarily good (true its better than smoke) but especially with such an old model car, if the radiator goes, it could be bye bye Oldsmobile. A lot of times there are certain signs (like this) that people unfortunately ignore and it becomes a problem too big to handle. First thing is first, if you're looking to save some money on a mechanic, take it down to an AutoZone or other reputable car parts store (Advanced, O'Reilly, etc.) and see if they have a particularly knowledgeable staff member who can better answer your questions specifics for FREE so you'll know whether or not you need to take it to a mechanic. If you do need to have work done, while your at the parts store ask if they have any recommended mechanics in your area. A lot of times these employees build relationships with local mechanics and can let you know which one won't screw you on the price of a repair. Good luck

When the engine is stone cold, remove the radiator pressure cap and make sure it's filled to the top with a 50/50 mix of the recommended antifreeze and distilled water listed in the specifications page of the glove compartment manual. Look at all the smaller heater core hoses to make sure they are not leaking. Look at the upper and lower large radiator hoses to make sure there are no leaks. Make sure the plastic coolant recovery bottle is filled 3/4 full with a 50/50 mix with antifreeze and distilled water.

If you can't find the leak take the car to a trusted private mechanic or Buick dealer an ask for an inexpensive *cooling system pressure test which will find any external or internal cooling system leaks ASAP!