Which J.K. Rowling book should I read?

I love any supernatural romance book. The twilight series by Stephenie Meyer were a huge favorite of mine but now that I'm finished, I'd like to read something new. Please recommend something that's part of a series. I know about the harry potter series already but am hoping for something with a little more romance. no demons please . Vampire's, witch's, fairies, even unicorns lol just no demons. Thank you

• Zac Z
    Favorite Answer

FYI: Apart from the Harry Potter series (and three related short books) J. K. Rowling hasn't written anything else supernatural (yet). After HP (which was her literary debut) she published a literary mystery novel (The Casual Vacancy) and a crime novel (The Cuckoo's Calling) using a nom de plume.

You are right in your assessment, though: Even if there are some romantic elements in the later novels (not surprising for a series which follows its main protagonist through his adolescence) they are essentially not romance novels.

If you want to read books with a stronger focus on romance, J. K. Rowling is not the author of your choice.

Personally, I'm not very much into this paranormal romance stuff, but from what I heard you might enjoy series such as "Vampire Academy" by Richelle Mead, "House of Night" by P. C. & Kristin Cast, and "The Vampire Diaries" by L. J. Smith.

Good luck,

Zac

PS: I hate to write this but the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice which Smells like New Screen Names recommends to you do not meet your criteria.

Anne Rice's vampires do not court teenage high school girls, they'd feed on them. These vampires do not fuсk around - well, they do but in a very literal sense! ;-)

Don't get me wrong. Rice has written some great novels, her Vampire Chronicles may well be the most influential vampire books of the 1970s and '80s, responsible to have brought back to life vampire literature, a genre that had become rather bloodless in the preceding decades.

Read them, by all means! And add the books about the Mayfair Witches (also by Rice).

But don't expect Twilight-style romance. What you'll get instead is a lot better! (At least in my very subjective opinion.)

Aren't you older than the usual Harry potter reader?

Go try Anne Rice, the woman who inspired Buffy the vampire Slayer and Stephanie Meyers both.

Unlike Twilight, her characters are actually burdened by eternal life and being vampires.

• Fae

If you loved Twilight, your standards are probably about as low as they can be, so just grab anything off the shelf in the Dark/Paranormal Romance section of your local book store.

• Maria

The Harry Potter series, all seven books. You won't be displeased.

If you haven't started Harry Potter, you might want to begin in it.