Is Jay-Z underrated as a lyrical MC?

I know jay-z isn't underrated when it comes to mainstream hip hop and success, but i'm talking about lyrics and flow. I always see comments like ''jay-z sucks". The dude has got sick punchlines and metaphors, and not only does he got bars; HE FREESTYLES HIS MUSIC (not choruses, just verses)

What are your thoughts? Underrated, Overrated or neither?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Nah, I don't think Jay is underrated or overrated at all. He is only overrated to the people who don't know what he's talking about. Ask anyone what a Basquiat looks like or who he is and they will have no clue for the most part. My sister who is in her 30's just asked me recently, what is Tom Ford? I had to laugh because she's been a fan of Jay since day one, even before RD just as I have been (Tom Ford is a men's suit designer). The point is, some people do not evolve with an artist, some do. The ones who don't will say Jay is overrated, the ones who do will say he is underrated. There is always 2 sides of that coin. The proof is in the pudding though. Jay is where he wants to be lyrically, but its not always about lyrical skill imo. It has more to do with personality skill. One who can genuinely transpose their personality into their lyrics is a genius. DMX, ODB, Redman, RZA and a whole slew more, these guys not only can spit in their own way, they live how they express it to us. Artists like 2 Chains and the likes only write what they think is hot, not how they live and feel. These guys are the overrated artists in the game.

There comes a time in this world where each art genre puts out an artist that is superior at what he/she does. Jay is one of those guys. Picasso, Monet, Da Vinci, Jacques Luis David, all of these guys were the master of their art and all of them had haters who thought they were overrated in some sort of way. In the end, Jay is where he is because he is not over or underrated.

Source(s): Hip Hop and rap fan since 1975
  • 7 years ago

Overrated actually

The problem is that his money & fame is what really blinds

the fans to not realize his skills as a true lyrical MC

If he wasn't so rich & famous,most fans would realize how skillful he is

• Luke-E
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

I wouldn't really call him overrated, but Jay-Z being underrated my me piss my pants laughing, how can you call someone who the critics praise underrated?

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Underrated tbh

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

I think he gets too much credit for work that is average, many albums and verses go unnoticed.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Your just a jay z stan. He is actually OVERrated. He does NOT freestyle in his albums thats not true at all. Try to stop drinking from the urinestream aka the mainstream and listen to some actual talanted mcees that are out.

• 7 years ago

Honestly slightly over.... Lol he does NOT freestyle his verses idk if you just assume that because of a Samsung commercial lmao but yeah definitely not true.... Only Jay albums I truley enjoy are - RD, blueprint & Black album

• 7 years ago

hov is a legend and defiantly gets his respect for it, I don't think hes under or over rated, people who know rap know his worth

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

not really..everyone mentions him on top 10 rappers of all time

• 7 years ago

not under or over

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.