promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 6 years ago

How do I get a, Minor in Possession I received in Charlotte NC, off of my record?

some facts first: Got a minor in possession (of malt beverage) charge in charlotte north carolina.I live in south carolina. 20 years old.

I know people in south carolina who have gotten the same misdemeanor and take Alcohol Education Program (AEP) classes and do community service to get the misdemeanor off of their record. They also didn't even have to show up for their court date.

I imagine there is something similar in North Carolina, but I have not been able to find anything substantial. How do i sign up for classes and community service if such a thing exists.

Thank You



Thank you for your response.

Do you know if I 100% sure need a lawyer to go through the expungment process? or could I do that without one, just by showing up on my court date?

1 Answer

  • Ranger
    Lv 6
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    You can't do any type of community service or class to make this go away. You'll need to have your record expunged to remove it. There's a process you must go through and it will cost you probably $500 or more depending on the lawyer.

    I'm giving you a link to the expungment laws of North Carolina. The first pages of the laws apply to people who were under 18 at the time of the offense. Go down to page 10 for people of all ages and those above 18 if you were 18 or older at the time of the offense.

    Print these pages out and go see a lawyer about applying for an expungement. They do them all the time and will be happy to help you if your record has been clear for the past couple or more years. You will get it granted no problem. You may want to call several lawyers offices and ask if they handle expungements before you make an appointment and ask the fees involved. It can vary greatly and you don't want to pay to see someone who then tells you he doesn't do that type of thing.

    Here's the link

    If I can give you any additional advice please get in touch. If you are in western NC I know a lawyer in Morganton, NC who handles these things. He did it for my son this past summer and I like him a lot.

    Good luck and I hope this helps!

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.