how do I open a frozen car door lock without WD40 or de-icer?

Favorite Answer

This what I did when I was living in S. Dakota: I used a cordless hair dryer named Tek Maker to defrost the ice around the door lock and the door sealing area. It took less than 10-15 minutes. Here is the link to buy it:

http://tekmakerusa.com/corehadrefr.html

The time you spent in a freezing cold morning will be a lot less than 10 minutes if you've installed a Ceramic heater for inside the cabin like the ones show here: Pick one:

http://www.amazon.com/Car-PTC-Ceramic-Heater-Watts...

I have installed a trickle charger and a warmer blanket for the battery. An engine block heater, a ceramic heater and all plugged in running overnight. In the morning, it took me less than five minutes to start the car with the remote starter and use the cordless hair dryer to warm the door seals and the key lock area.

In the spare time by using spray silicon on the door seals itself will prevent future door sticking problem like it show in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4RiHTq9pug

Youtube thumbnail

Hope I've answered the question. HTH

You don't say the year, make and model. That might make a difference. Are you trying to use a key fob or actually putting the key in the door lock? Also do you know if lock is stuck or door is frozen shut?

First, if you have a key fob unlock the car. Check all doors and see if you can get in. If so start car, let sit at idle and run heater, the heat will work though the doors and melt any ice.

Try pouring warm water around the door seal, that may release the ice, or warm the lock mechanism.

Pour it slowly, wait a bit, repeat, may take 10 gallons of water the warm the door.

There is always a blower dryer. This will take some time to warm the door.

I am not sure I like pouring water into the lock. Depending on the type of car, that might not be a good idea, may not work.

a>

WD-40 will not de-ice a lock. It should also never be sprayed into a lock. In humid areas it does not seem o be much of a problem but here in the desert Southwest it is the Great Destroyer of Locks, turning into a dust laden gum in a year or two, a gum that can't be removed.

Although de-icer works eventually there is nothing as good as heat. A butane lighter works well, especially the long-nosed types found in the picnic areas of supermarkets and used for lighting pilot lights and birthday candles. Give it a series of 5 second blasts 10 seconds apart to keep the temperature to a minimum. I don't use the heated key much... most of the time when I find a door lock frozen it is so full of ice a key won't start to go in.

Source(s): 13 winters in Flagstaff

Without wd-40 or de icer, you'd want to try a lighter or matches and heating the key up (unless it is a newer key with an electronic chip built into it).

Only other thing you could do is walk to the other side of the car and see if that lock isn't frozen.

This used to happen to our cars as a kid. My dad used to use warm water. It probably isn't the best thing to use, but it always worked. He would funnel it into the stuck areas, the lock, the seams aroound the door, and it would open.

Pour warm water on the lock, then heat the key with a match or lighter, then try to open you lock.

Use a hot air blow dryer, or hair dryer, then use WD 40 to keep moisture from freezing again.

I lived in the cold f or many years and, I never experienced a frozen car door.

Where do you live?

pour warm water down over the door but watch you don,t get any on the glass or it could break !

• fred35

Yes use warm NOT hot water.

Old mechanic predating defreezers and WD40.