Musical Recommendations?

I really LOVE musicals. Some of my favorites are Phantom of the Opera, Les Mis, Sweeney Todd, Wicked, Ghost, and West Side Story. Does anyone have any other recommendations for me? I'd really love to find other musicals like these.

Favorite Answer

Other than West Side Story and Sweeney Todd, the musicals that you mention are recent works. All of them are BIG musicals. I've been a musical lover since I was a kid and looking back at it, I lived through the so-called Golden Age of Broadway when Rodgers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Lowe, Jerry Herman, Cole Porter, Cy Coleman, Julie Styne, Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim, Erb and Kander were lighting up the Great White Way. Their shows didn't depend on special effects or gimmicks to sell out the theater. Instead it was memorable songs, high energy dancing and actors who were truly stars.

Some shows that I enjoy other than those that you mentioned are:

Chicago

Cabaret

Guys and Dolls

A Chorus Line

Oklahoma

South Pacific

Gypsy

Will Rogers Follies

La Cage aux Follies

Mame

Company

A Little Night Music

Into the Woods

Evita

and on and on.

If you like something edgy and different from your average opera, you might enjoy REPO: The Genetic Opera. The lead actress Alexa Penavega( She starred as Carmen in spykids shes actually a pretty good singer) also from one the Phantom of the Opera cast Sarah Brightman. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963194/ its a pretty good story with twist here in there. i thought i would not enjoy it but once i actually sat and watched this i cant stop watching it.

Some of my personal favorites:

*CHESS (music by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, formerly of ABBA, lyrics by Tim Rice)

Clearly one of the greatest musicals of all time - unjustly neglected to this day... Absolutely gorgeous, expertly-written music from first to last bar with brilliant lyrics by Sir Tim. Must-hear stuff to *any* music lover.

''In 2001, in an interview with the San Francisco Chronicle Tim Rice admitted that after the "comparative failure of Chess, his all-time favourite, he became disillusioned with theatre." He commented, "It may sound arrogant, but Chess is as good as anything I've ever done. And maybe it costs too much brainpower for the average person to follow it".'' (Wiki)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGtvekzEoSA

Youtube thumbnail

&list=PLD24C10B02145FCEE

*FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (music by Jerry Bock, lyrics by Sheldon Harnick)

THE musical to many in the know. It simply has everything - great plot, great music, great lyrics. Just about everything that means something to any human being is to be found in this one musical. A theatrical and musical tour de force.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9J4RsUwMh4

Youtube thumbnail

(from the 1971 film daptation)

*MAN OF LA MANCHA (music by Mitch Leigh, book by Dale Wasserman, lyrics by Joe Darion)

Straddling the elusive border between lucidity and madness, reality and fiction, Cervantes/Don Quichote is undoubtedly one of the most fascinating characters in the whole musicals repertoire. Moving, touching, stirring - AND most intelligent show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3xX0IrCHRc

Youtube thumbnail

(from the 1972 film adaptation)

Best,

Raymond

Matilda is good, and hairspray is too! Also Shrek the musical is better than it sounds. You could also try Newsies or Kinky boots.

My two favorite are The Lion King and Jesus Christ Superstar.

RENT is one of my absolute favorite musicals. Cats is also very good, as is Into The Woods.