In the year 2014 do all americans white, latino , asian and black have the same exact oppurtunities?

equal level of schools,employment, pay, equal rights? is discrimination a factor?

• Zina
    Favorite Answer

Absolutely not!!!

I can even attest to this in the northern states I have been in Philadelphia in Pennsylvania for just over 4 yrs now. I have come across extremely racist children when I was working in an after school program. Little Latin girls saying "EW SHE BLACK AND UGLY" about Michelle Obama (clearly views from parents)..then hearing another little Latin girl correcting them and telling them they were horrible (made me feel so proud). Another Latin boy telling a little Puerto Rican/black girl that she was ugly because she wore her hair in an afro, her telling me she wants to have hair like me (a wavy weave/wig)

When I worked retail, I heard employees talking about the international/foreign customers ALL OF THE TIME if they did not understand clearly or speak clear enough for the associate. If you are bilingual and don't speak perfect English forget about being hired!

From substitute teaching: schools are terrible within Phila city. The Asian schools have a great education (90% Asian) and the students are SO SMART!! The black/Latin schools have an okay education but not as good as the Asian. I don't know about any majority white schools.

One black woman who was with the company for 6 yrs was fired when another black manager started working there . The new black manager told a WHITE woman that she was Too Ghetto to work there. Of course the white woman told the girl! I was appalled at the new manager!! Not to mention that the employee was exceptional with the customer, a nice Christian, and not ghetto at all. Unless you call having a Philadelphia accent ghetto? I was so sad for her when she was let go.

So overall yes in terms of employment and schooling there is discrimination. Pay I think we all have an equal chance except sometimes people will stereotype minorities as being dumb or incapable of being professors etc. Just pay attention to this. I have experienced people not thinking I am smart by looking at me but when they hear me talk think that because I speak somewhat "valley girl" that I am extremely smart and educated

Source(s): black woman headed to Brazil in 2 weeks (for 9 mon)

Probably still some discrimination in the southern states

But I would say everyone is about equal, maybe some discrimination against women still though..

Yes,all American citizens(regardless of race) have equal job & education opportunities,it's all up to the individual to be self motivated and gear in the right direction.By "Latino" I suspect you mean Mestizos,and yes they also have ample opportunities as long as they're citizens of the country.

Equal education? No.

• Zer0

Quality of schools has to do with the economic backgrounds really.

No. A black person can get killed by a white person but the white person won't get in trouble.

Source(s): Walla

i think its equal now days.Hovewer sometimes i would see that you need to speak a certain language (most spanish)to get hired,

• Bob

yes

No we don't.

No they don't.