promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in TravelIrelandOther - Ireland · 6 years ago

I'm thinking about moving to Ireland from America...?

I'm a high schooler in America but I really want to go to Ireland for college, but unfortunately my mom said I would have to save up my own money to go there and I was wondering exactly how much money and what requirements would you need to move to Ireland from America?

3 Answers

  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    You would have to apply through the CAO as someone else stated.

    To give you an idea of what the fees would be, this is the link to Trinity College, which I imagine would be in the same ballpark figures as other Universities in Ireland.

    You would need to get a student visa.

    On a student visa, you are allowed to work, but are restricted to 20 hours a week, however, don't count on getting work, as there is very little of it, and many of the jobs that students could count on in the past have been replaced by phoney internship schemes. The unemployment rate for under 30year olds in Ireland at the moment is about 30%.

    Rent in Dublin for cheapish accomadation runs at about a minimum of 400 euro per month. In other cities it would be more reasonable.

    Hope this helps

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

    You cannot "move" to Ireland. Ireland is a member of the European Union. The E. U. forbids non-Europeans from getting a work visa in Europe....the LAST thing they need is Americans taking their jobs. Unemployment is very high in Ireland and they are protecting their jobs for their citizens. IF you can save up a very large amount of money to pay tuition and living expenses, you can apply for a Student visa to go to university there. That would very likely be over $100,000. Perhaps you could take one semester or one year of university in Ireland. Look for a university in the U.S. that does exchange programs. To tell you the truth, without wealthy parents to pay your way, it is not possible.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Orla C
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

    You'd have to get into college here first, which means applying through the CAO -, and only if you are offered a college place will be granted a student visa. Non-EU nationals who are on student visas in Ireland are not permitted to work in Ireland.

    Also, you will have to pay full tuition on top of your living expenses. And when you finish your studies in Ireland, you would have to leave the country.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.