Why won't DVD drive on my PC eject unless there is a disc inside?

I haven't used the optical drive in my PC for at least 8 months or even more. Today I tried opening it and nothing! I couldn't open it with the button directly on the drive or in Windows. I finally used a paperclip to trip the lock mechanism.

After that it would eject but went back in so fast that I couldn't get a disc in it! I finally just grabbed the tray and held it open so I could put a music CD in it. The CD played normally so I opened the tray with the eject button, removed the CD, and it wouldn't open again unless I tripped the mechanism with a paperclip.

I have an HP Slimline s5123w NY469A. The optical drive on a Slimline sits vertically and I got sick of having to hold discs in until the door closed, so I laid it on its side.

I went through every troubleshooting step on the HP support website.

Thanks for any help y'all can give me!

I suppose it is time to replace it. I do like having the light scribe disc labeling and have used it a lot. One of the reasons I was so stubbornly trying to avoid replacement.

Thanks for the help.

Favorite Answer

my sugestion is to buy a new OD, you can pick them up for an affordable price!

• Jim

time to replace the drive, it's bad. they go bad after 5 years.

I just bought an HP DVD drive off of eBay and it has the same problem. I took it apart to find out if the problem is a simple jam..The problem is that the drive mechanism which actually presses against the disc and spins it. This mechanism lowers when the drive tray is open, and raises when the drive tray locks closed.

The metallic outer circular part of that drive mechanism is magnetized. When a disc is inserted, the mechanism raises, and the magnetic force between the ring and the top of the drive casing itself provides the force which presses the drive against the disk and keeps it from slipping as the drive motor spins it.

That magnetic force is very strong. When there is a disc inside, it lessens the magnetic force that pull the drive against the top of the drive casing.. Without a disc, the force is too strong for the drive tray eject motor to overcome. Either the drive tray eject belt will slip, or the motor itself will stop trying.

Do a Google search on "dvd drive mechanism is magnet too strong" and you will get more information. The solution is to make sure the drive tray pulley belt is good, or to cover the magnetic surface with something to lessen the magnetic attraction.