Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Sam asked in PetsOther - Pets · 7 years ago

Do I qualify for an emotional support animal and the fair housing act?

I have Aspergers, OCD, Anxiety, Tourettes, and eosinophilic esophagitis. Do I qualify for an emotional support animal and the fair housing act?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Emotional support animals are not considered service animals. Emotional support animals and the Fair Housing Act are HUD issues. The ADA has nothing to do with either.

Are you currently under the care of a mental health professional that's suggested an Emotional Support Animal would be beneficial to your treatment plan?

If not, that's your first step.

Until a mental health professional determined that your conditions are severe enough to qualify as a disability, you don't qualify for an ESA. Once it's determined that they are severe enough to be considered mentally disabling, and a mental health care provider determines that having one would be beneficial, then you'll qualify for an ESA.

• ?
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

possibly but know that assistance animals and service animals fall under 2 very different guidelines and only service animals are covered under ADA law

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

• Cheryl
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

yes you do ...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.