Do i really need Adobe Flash Player (Youtube, etc...)?

I've been using Adobe Flash Player for a long time, (just because i tough it was necessary), and lately i noticed that watching videos on youtube is a "pain in the ***", because it uses about 80 to 100% of my CPU!... This has been happening since the last updates, (versions 11 to 12).

My computer isn't that bad either, i mean, i can play games such as Battlefield 3 nice and smoothly, but lately, watching videos has become impossible!

So, i searched a bit and i found out that many other people are having this problem, so i decided to uninstall Adobe Flash Player, and guess what, i still can watch videos on youtube without any lag caused by my CPU!

I've also noticed that watching videos in 1080p doesn't look as good as before (when i had adobe flash) but it's not that big of a difference, the quality still looks good but i can notice some differences!

So, is the Flash only adding more quality to stuff, (that's why it uses more CPU) ?

if so, I don't really need it, (only if i want to) right ?

some info about my PC:

Browser: Google Chrome

Processors: 2 processors, Pentium(R) Dual-core CPU E5400 @2.70GHz (not that recent but still gets the job done... for now lol)

i don't think the graphic car is that important for this but...: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512

Thanks for your time!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

you dont need adobe flash player if you r using chrome

• 7 years ago

From the Google forums, see http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chro... and emilio morales entry:

I appear to have fixed the problem. Simply enter "chrome://plugins" (no quotes), in the URL bar and click "+ details". the first entry of the Flash plugin section should have in the location path something to do with "PepperFlash"). Disable that one. After I did this, Flash content now plays perfectly smooth, and no longer maxes out my CPU usage. Hope this will help other people who have a similar problem. Disabling the "Phishing and Malware Filter" feature also sped up my general browsing quite a bit, but MAKE SURE you have some other form of protection on your browser first."

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Ehm..

This is a good link for downloading Adobe Falsh Player for free http://j.mp/1p3PyAN

If Youtube or Facebook videos don't work anymore or if the screen is black you need to install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player.

Cheers.

• naski
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

It is better to have it, even though as you said you can watch videos without it.

Depends if it slows down your PC or not.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

If you have Google chrome, you don't need it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.