TigerLily asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 6 years ago

dying hair?! scared! HELP!!!!?

My hair is naturally a dark blonde and I have dyed it a lighter blonde three times now with three different colours and brands and everytime it stings/burns my head while its beinf applied. During the time waiting until I can rinse the dye out, the pain dies down until it completely stops. Once its rinsed out it doesn't hurt at all. I think that maybe my mind is playing tricks on me because I've read so many different stories about people getting sevre allergic reactions and even dieing. I don't know whether I should risk dying my hair or let my natural hair colour grow out? I'm just scared my roots will look really bad and I will get mean comments about them and that it will take a really long time to grow out. Also, my skin is sensitive and after dying I've noticed my skin becomes slightly irritated with small inflammation spots :/

What should I do? Dye it or not?

Am I allergic to hair dye?

Will the reaction be worse this time?

Please help :( x

Favorite Answer

"I have dyed it a lighter blonde three times now with three different colours and brands and everytime it stings/burns my head while its beinf applied"

That's a GOOD SIGN you've gone too far with CHEMICALS. Don't dye.

SALON: Hair bleach burnt my scalp?

its been a week today that i had my mobile hair dresser come and do highlights for new year. it was blue powder and white cream stuff she mixed up to use. anyway she got it on my scalp which really burnt me! the foil was so hot she could barely touch it! she didn't rinse my hair off until she had finish the last two highlights and by that point the pain was so bad i was almost crying! she didn't even wash the bleach out of my hair properly and when blow drying it it just burnt me even more! that same day about an hour after she left it was still burning and noticed scabs forming and my hair sticking together. i did go to the doctors the other day to get it checked as the pain is still very bad and its also swollen. all they gave me is this shampoo called oilatum that i can only use twice a week. dose anyone know of what else i could possibly do or use to stop this incredibly bad pain and burning that keeps me up a night too. as the doctors have said its not infected.

Style meets chemistry meets biology: We're talking hair coloring.

Playing with chemicals is not like playing with clothes, or doing a manicure, there are penalties for playing chemicals in the lab. Even hair color experts at the salon are not rocket scientists, they do a bang up dye jobs to their clients or their own hair.

Chemicals can enter the body through the skin.

> > > Hair dye chemicals linked to cancer

London, Feb 20, 2013 I've been saying that since 2009.

Hair dyes, which include home hair colouring kits and those used at pricey salons, are linked to deadly cancer-causing chemicals, warn scientists. In 2009 the Mail revealed that women who used hair dyes more than nine times a year had a 60% greater risk of contracting blood cancer.

A year later the European Commission banned 36 hair dyes which put long-term users at risk of bladder cancer. < < < <

Google: Teen 'feared she would die' after reaction to hair dye

The allergic reaction was caused by a well-known brand of semi-permanent hair dye Chloe used to turn her hair black for a Hallowe’en party. . . . . called for beauty bosses to ban hair dye chemical PPD (para-phenylenediamine) from the shelves. 11-04-11

The chemical is not new and is present in a number of brands of dark hair colours, acting to help adhere the dye to the hair so that it doesn't wash out. It’s made from coal tar and is used in both permanent and semi-permanent hair colours. It’s well-known to be a cause of serious allergic reactions -- including something called contact dermatitis which can lead to rashes, blisters, and open sores.

PPD is sometimes added to black henna tattoos and that using them is not safe. Allergic reactions usually begin within two to 10 days following application. One bad reaction can lead to sensitivities to other products such as hair dye, sunblock and some types of clothing dyes. Oftentimes, it's using the product a second or third time. Skin specialist Najjia Ashraf reveals that there are barely any dyes that don’t contain this toxin; even the ones who claim they don’t, are not being honest. “Big brands often escape the blame by suggesting they are ammonia-free. However, ammonia and PPD are two very different things and PPD is present in nearly every dye because it is what gives off the colour,” she explains.

Google: A 38-year old mother left in a coma after using hair dye. SHE DYED HER HAIR MANY TIMES BEFORE, USING THE SAME BRAND. The British woman who went into coma after a reaction to hair dye has died after a year. Updated 11-25-12. The woman suffered a heart failure, struggled for breath and became unconsciousness. Her family blamed paraphenylenediamine, a chemical found in hair colour. Her family has now called for paraphenylenediamine to be banned from home dye kits. In 2000, a 38-year-old Indian-origin woman from Birmingham, Narinder Devi, died after an allergic reaction to hair dye.

Permanent black hair dye is linked to causing leukemia and lymphomas.

Google search: Salon hair dye horror stories. About 305,000 results (0.20 seconds) OR Google Salon Hair Dye Lawsuits. About 336,000 results (0.17 seconds) Dec. 2011

When it comes to hair care treatments, product use or visits to a salon or spa, the consumer must take responsibility to do their homework and be aware of all the risks involved.

Google: January Jones: "My Hair Is Falling Out In Clumps" 1-28-13 To quote Joni Mitchell, "you don't know what you got till your thick hair is gone.

Source(s): Google FDA.gov & search for Hair Dye & Relaxers. Google: Hair Dye FAQ's Are Hair Dyes Safe? I stand up for cancer. No allergies here, OR hair falls when I was dyeing my hair, but I had frequent migraines, the 1st one lasted 14 hours. My mom & sister also have breasts cancer, and I'm trying to be chemical-free as much as I can and watch what I put in my body. Mom started perming our hair in the 60's. Mom had bloody noses for 75 years, and doctors didn't know why, but she was diagnosed by age 89. Sister had double mastectomy by age 35, but she's been cancer free since the early 90's
  • KTR

I would stop doing it, if it continues to cause pain and irritation. One trick I used to use for a relative was, after coloring and rinsing, to pour about a cup of cold milk on the scalp, then rinse out. That seems to soothe a slight irritation. Real allergies can be quite serious. If you want to grow it out, get a cute style that will work with the process, and ignore any mean comments. Good luck!

Wait until your hair grows back into it's natural color. The problem may be that you're putting too many products in your hair too quick before waiting. Give your hair a break and check to see if you're allergic to any of the products you are using.