Is it safe to travel to Nigeria?

In a few days I should be traveling to Nigeria on a business trip with two other coworkers. We should be staying in Lagos, or around it for 7-10 days. I said "or around it" because we are not sure yet - the business is something of construction kind, so we will be staying in camp where workers live. They say it's safe and guarded by army forces, but I am still skeptical.

The good thing is is that we should have everything we need in camp, food, shower, our jobs, etc. So our route should be: airport - camp (7-10 days) - airport.

Now my question is: is it safe to travel there on business trip? I am male, 50 years old with no serious health problems. The only major problem is that I don't know English (I am not writing this personally), but we will have our group translator with us, or so they said.

Also, we are flying over there via plane from Europe.

Any tips, advices, ideas etc. would be greatly appreciated because this will be my first travel to Africa.

Nigeria is a really interesting country, especially because of the diversity. Its so diverse that when travelling within it one often wonders if they're still within Nigeria. There are deserts and beaches, savannahs and forests, extremely rural villages, and yet, extremely cosmopolitan cities. LOL, there is no cannibalism so no one will eat you. However, certain towns are prone to religious riots in the Middle Belt of the country. Nigerians are friendly people and are not anti-white, but there are kidnapping issues in the Niger-delta region and being a white makes one more attractive to kidnappers (because it calls global attention). The Niger-Delta crisis is actually because american companies are drilling oil and destroying the environment. Right now that area has suffered more damage than the recent oil spill in North America, yet no one is doing anything about the plight of the people. You can't blame them if they kidnap americans to get Obama's attention. I would advise you to keep away from PORT HARCOURT+environs (kidnap) and JOS+environs (riot). Even Nigerians don't visit those cities anymore. Lagos, Abuja, Kano, Calabar, Ibadan,are a must-visit, along with most other cities. You'll be very fine, just don't do touristy crap like travelling alone by road. Stay at reputable hotels. Don't carry cash around and avoid late outings when you're alone. As for killing people with light skin, another LOL. Where do these stories come from?

If this is a legitimate company they will have private security forces protecting you. My old company's African head office was in Nigeria and the company also owned a few factories in Nigeria and nobody from the company ever had any issues. Even when they were going to factories which were not in Lagos, they had bodyguards with them and their housing was guarded by security

Just make sure your insurance covers you in NIgeria - some policies won't.

I might have to make a trip to Lagos in March/April for another company I'm working with and am not at all worried about it, but I'd be staying at a hotel on Victoria Island and the event will be held in conjunction with the British trade commission who will have very good security at any event.

Good thing you have a translator since what is mainly spoken there is English. You're going to Lagos and Lagos is just like any city in the world meaning there are the dangerous places and the secure places. No big deal! Also Lagos is a very busy place, very crowded and lots of heavy traffic. Just be in the right place at the right time.

Have a safe trip!

Andrija, I must admit it is correct to say that Nigeria is not a safe place to travel for now. The level of insecurity is very disturbing. Kidnapping, armed robbery, ritual killings and religious madness has turned the country into a scary place so would not suggest you to go for a nigeria trip.