Inna asked in SportsCycling · 6 years ago

Suggestions on mountain bikes or road bikes?

My boyfriend and I want to buy bikes but we have no clue what were doing when it comes to the right kind of bike. We live in San Francisco, which is very hilly, and we plan on riding them mainly on the street or through the park, nothing extreme. Can someone recommend a practical and reliable yet not to pricey bike? Also if we need mountain bikes for the hills or a road bike?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A) Define "not too pricey". I'm not privy to your bank account or credit card info. Good bikes of any type will start in the $450 - $500 price range. Good "road bikes" in the $650 - $700 range.

B) Why limit yourself to only two types of bikes? And so vastly greater in difference? Mountain bikes are great off-road...but they SUCK on paved surfaces. Knobby off-road tires & suspension parts only slow you down. Suspension parts soak up or absorb YOUR energy. With every stroke of the pedals, part of your energy is absorbed into those suspension parts & NOT transmitted to the rear wheel.

C) Conversely - pure road bikes (with drop down style handlebars) can't take the use & abuse of going off-road. Plus the skinny high pressure road tires aren't designed to give off-road traction.

D) Read "Bicycles: How to Choose" on this link... http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/bicycle.htm...

My bet is, you'll NEED some type of comfort bike or hybrid bike. These bikes can go on light (man-made) groomed off-road trails of finely crushed stone & are still great to ride on the streets. Think of them as a cross between a pure road bike & a mountain bike.

E) Easiest way to choose a bicycle? Five, simple, easy to understand words... Go To A Bicycle Shop. Salespeople do NOT work on commission. You get PROFESSIONAL sales & service before, during & MOST importantly AFTER the sale. At least one FREE (under warranty) tune-up after the sale. And test rides are FREE. Try at least 2 or 3. See link... http://nbda.com/articles/the-bike-shop-advantage-p...

F) AVOID discount & big box stores like the plague. Minimum wage "associates" slap a bike together without a clue. Same person could have been selling goldfish the week before over in the pet dept. This is why Wally World list their (so-called) bicycles in the TOY DEPT.! Plus all the inferior components these bikes come with.

• 6 years ago

Riding is a big thing now in San Francisco, there are many shops and participants in local cycling events. I road often on Sundays when the park was closed to auto traffic years ago, and i used a ten sped bicycle.

Rent one for the day, there are many bicycle shops that will set you up with a bicycle that fits you, and is well serviced. A bicycle Shop, not the vendor in the park renting bicycles. Try a hybrid one day, and try a road bicycle the next day...

Going across the Golden Gate into Sausalito, take the ferry home,ride into the Presidio. You have so many wonderful place to ride for recreation and avoid most of the hills. But hill climbing can be fun, and it is part of San Francisco & not to be missed.

• 6 years ago

Get a 24 speed hybrid bike from a bicycle shop. The bicycle shop can build this setup for you. Be sure the rear cassette is a 34-11. Here's what you want for the front chainrings 22, 38, 48. This is how you want to shift your gears: uphill entering it at a slow speed or a long uphill grade 1(1,2,3); level ground comfort riding or rolling hills 2(3,4,5,6); downhill, rolling hills or level ground sprinting 3(6,7,8). So the only time you shift the front chainrings is when you're either in 3 or 6 in the rear. Whenever you'll be coming to a stop be sure to be in 2(3) and use this as your starting gear. If you must stop going up a steep hill then be in 1(1) and use that as a starting gear. This style of shifting is easy to learn. It eliminates gear redundancy, cross chaining and chain droop. It gives you 10 simple to understand non redundant gears instead of 24 confusing redundant ones. I live in Tennessee and we have 30% grade hills here. I've set up this system on many pedal only riders bikes here and taught them this shifting style. They've all told how great the setup and shifting style works.

You also want to get a bicycle computer with a cadence meter on it. Then be in a gear where you can comfortably maintain a crank rpm of 70-90.

Source(s): Motorized bicycle owner and builder.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Try the Specialized Tricross as it will do the job of climbing hills as is the case of the mountain bike and give you road bike speeds on level roads plus will happily take road tyres, the Continental Grand Prix Four Seasons is a particulary good one for all year round street use plus is impossible to puncture too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

I think road bikes. Cycling is associated with improved cardiovascular fitness, as well as a decrease in the risk of coronary heart disease. Cyclists are a diverse group. Some of us ride fat tires down rocky trails, some of us ride road bikes up burly hills, some of us ride for sport and some of us ride just for fun. Some ride for the adrenaline rush and some ride their bikes for basic transportation. But all of us can take advantage of the healthy benefits of cycling, even if we never ever buy a single item made from spandex.

• John M
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

A road or hybrid bike will be more efficient on hills and paved roads then any mountain bike. Shocks eat up energy and knobby tires really suck on pavement and hard bike paths.

Go to the local bike shops and tell them where you want to ride. department store bikes are very poor quality.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Bicycles can be categorized in many different ways: by function, by number of riders, by general construction, by gearing or by means of propulsion. The more common types include utility bicycles, mountain bicycles, racing bicycles, touring bicycles, hybrid bicycles, cruiser bicycles, and BMX Bikes. Less common are tandems, lowriders, tall bikes, fixed gear, folding models, amphibious bicycles and recumbents. The bicycle is a land vehicle propelled by muscle power of the legs. During its motion, it is subject to different forces, which depend on external conditions and opposing the movement. These are the rolling resistance, the component of the weight force and air resistance. The first depends on many factors acting on the road-wheel. The second, as is known, depends on the slope of the road, as well as by the weight of the bike and rider. Finally, the third depends mainly on the “form” of the frame and the position assumed by the rider, as well as by the speed.

• 6 years ago

Find some hardtails ( w/ front suspension) in www.jensonusa.com or www.wheelworld.com---

• 6 years ago

ok mountian bike better

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.