Is it safe to wear the Confederate flag?

Hi,

I'm a 16-year-old guy in England, specifically Croydon. I am a rockabilly, so I wear Confederate flags to celebrate rockabilly's roots and southern heritage. I hate racism. From a rather selfish point of view, racism would mean no Chuck Berry, Little Richard or Fats Domino, and on a worldwide scale it would be dreadful.

Nevertheless, the earth is full of idiots who wouldn't think twice about interpreting the flag as a symbol of racism because their brains are a) stuck in the 18th century and b) grossly ill-informed.

Those familiar with Croydon would know that it has a reputation for both black people and violent people, and this does of course mean that there are plenty of violent black people who may want to do bad things to me when they catch sight of the 13 stars emblazoned proudly across the back of my denim jacket.

Thinking of this makes me rather concerned about going into Croydon after dark - I know I could wear something else and obviously I would, but I'd rather not - so I'd like to know whether it would be safe.

My only hopes are that people couldn't care less about it or, as is highly likely in Croydon, are so incomprehensibly thick that they have no idea of what the flag is.

Thank you.

Jamlord - how am I in any way comparable to the Pope? He has nice bodyguards and armoured cars.

Ann - thanks for the first part of your answer, but as for the second part, I'll wear whatever I bloody like.

Anyhow, I ask really because a lot of people seem to get killed in Croydon for the most ridiculous of reasons and I try to avoid it at night at the best of times.

Michael - you have a special place in the heart of my second paragraph.

Gator man - I knew it would be more bother than it was worth and expect more than about 10% of my answers to be easily legible and not written by someone who could easily convince someone that they are a chronically brain damaged marmoset.

Favorite Answer

I can't imagine the Confederate flag being any thing more in Croydon than a fashion statement. I really don't think that it has any significance. The Confederacy was a forgettable part of American history.

Do u truly understand what the confederate flag means? The 13 stars represents the 13 southern states that lost in the civil war to abolish slavery. The confederate flag is completely racist and if you need to understand were it originated from.

• Ann

Not if you're not in the southern USA, it's not.

You're in England. You like southern US music, but you aren't from there.

It's not even safe to wear it in the northern US states.

Be a fan all you want. But there are regional variations and pride. You're not a southerner. Don't use a flag as a clothing style. It's not your culture.

Are you for real? The Condfederate Flag was embraced by Teds who terrorized Black immigrants. Waste of bandwidth to try to educate someone so stupid.

Um that's incorrect it has southern influences, it was a mix of black/African-American-made genres taking beats and singing and trumpets and base guitar, and taking electric guitar from honky tonk country but white singers used country singing. Rock n roll was a mix of gospel doo wop jazz swing(black music) and just country(white music) the first rock n roll song ever made was rocket 88 by Jackie brentson (1951) he was black and southern

Source(s): Btw to meet young rockabillies go to the rockabilly convention in Los Vegas Nevada in the united states
  • Mark

You can do whatever you want to do, pumpkin.

And when I think of Croydon, I don't think about race (how DARE I be on Y!A???), I think of big shopping centres and the Croydon Flyover.