Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 7 years ago

What are the American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines for starting solids?

I know it is recommended that you wait until 6 months of age to introduce solids to your little one, but what does the AAP say?

Favorite Answer

Most pediatricians do not say 4-6 months. The vast majority of pediatricians follow the AAP guidelines of 6 months minimum, because they know that it has been proven that starting earlier can increase food allergies, obesity, food aversions, and block nutrition or cause lifelong GI issues.

• ?

The AAP said 6 months, but most pediatricians say that anywhere from 4-6 months is okay. Some recommend that your baby be able to sit up supported, and some even say to wait until they can sit up unsupported. Sitting up unsupported usually happens around 6 months, though.

With my son, I wanted to either wait until 6 months or until he *really* started showing interest in food. As in, was literally trying to take whatever I was eating out of my hand. He started showing interest at 5 months, so at about 5 1/2 months we started giving him little tastes. He just turned 7 months and does solids 3 times a day now. I'm glad we waiting until he was really ready, because he figured out chewing and swallowing easily and is very open to new flavors and textures. Some babies don't show any real interest in solid food until they're a little older, and that's okay, too. Take your pediatrician's advice to heart, but make the choice that feels best for your baby.

The AAP says six months.